Fox Micron M

davedave

Hi all,

Recently i've been doing a lot of perch fishing. I normally use two rods, both free running legers on small bobbins with worms or prawns. I want to start dabbling in float fishing, float paternosters and other methods though. However whilst watching a float or whatever on one rod, I don't want to be missing bites on my other leger rod, so i've decided to buy a bite alarm so I can concentrate on one rod and be alerted if the other has a bite. I highly doubt my £8 bite alarms off Amzon are anywhere near as sensitive to register on featherweight bobbins I make out of a piece of plastic pipe. Delkims are out of my £40 maximum spending limit, so am looking at Fox Micron M's. But are they sensitive enough to basically register without any weight on the line? Advice greatly appreciated, if they're no good can anyone advise on other bite alarms in the price range that are any good.

This is the type of thing I'm looking at

- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-MICRON-M-DIG...=item4607511675

- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Fox-Mi...=item460629448e

- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-NEW-Micron-M...=item2a1d91d5dd

Thanks in advance, Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Quite bulky though aren't they? :g:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

You might be able to save yourself some cash Dave. An opinion expressed on the AN forum many times is that perch don't mind a bit of resistance provided it's constant, any change in resistance will make them drop the bait. You should be able to use bobbins heavy enough to make your bite alarms work.

I haven’t ledgered for perch much but my experience float fishing suggests that a lob suspended by a big buoyant loafer doesn’t put them off at all, presumably because the resistance of the float doesn’t change as they make off with the bait.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

You might be able to save yourself some cash Dave. An opinion expressed on the AN forum many times is that perch don't mind a bit of resistance provided it's constant, any change in resistance will make them drop the bait. You should be able to use bobbins heavy enough to make your bite alarms work.

I haven’t ledgered for perch much but my experience float fishing suggests that a lob suspended by a big buoyant loafer doesn’t put them off at all, presumably because the resistance of the float doesn’t change as they make off with the bait.

I'd go with that.

Mind you, I don't know that My Micron 'M's are up to perch fishing either. Too much space on the roller to show short bites. Fine for tench fishing but perch....hmmm....not so sure.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That's really interesting, thanks. So my normal cheapo carp bobbins will be ok on my even cheaper bite alarm (This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/fishing-alarm-Volu...80&sr=8-13)

Has it worked for you? Dave

On another note i'm going to hijack my own thread a little bit instead of starting a whole new post.

I have been looking at a free running paternoster rig, which i've only just realised is basically a conventional free running leger rig but with a length of line from swivel to weight. Does that make sense? Anyway, never used this before, how long does this length of line need to be and does it matter what breaking strain it is as it's not on the business end it's just from the swivel to the weight?

PS still sceptical about using my carp bobbins + alarms, seems so crude! But i'll take your word for it :P

That's really interesting, thanks. So my normal cheapo carp bobbins will be ok on my even cheaper bite alarm (This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/fishing-alarm-Volu...80&sr=8-13)

I'd try them first, next time out fish as normal but with the alarms set up (don't take the float rod). It'll be obvious enough if bobbin movement isn't triggering the alarms. I think Anderoo has fished for perch with both float rod and ledger at the same time, IIRC he uses quite a long drop.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

On another note i'm going to hijack my own thread a little bit instead of starting a whole new post.

I have been looking at a free running paternoster rig, which i've only just realised is basically a conventional free running leger rig but with a length of line from swivel to weight. Does that make sense? Anyway, never used this before, how long does this length of line need to be and does it matter what breaking strain it is as it's not on the business end it's just from the swivel to the weight?

PS still sceptical about using my carp bobbins + alarms, seems so crude! But i'll take your word for it :P

A paternoster rig is only really useful when fishing sufficiently close enough in to enable your line to come up from the weight at an angle that will enable the three way joint to be raised from the lake or river bed. Or if you use a sunken float. Otherwise just use a conventional running ledger.

There are various bobbins on the market. If you weigh them using postal scales (pop down to you local drug dealer and borrow a set ;) ) you will see that they vary enormously in weight. The lightest shop bought one I have is around 14 grams, the heaviest at its lightest setting is over 40 grams. I can add weight, but I can't remove it. I also have made some bobbins from the plastic 'corks' used in wine bottles that weigh around 8 grams. These are the ones I use for shy biting fish in calm lakes.

The Optonic will record bites using no bobbin at all, just a bow in the line, so picking up bobbin movement is no problem. You can also change the rotors from four blade to two to give different sensitivity.

They might not look particularly modern, but if you are interested in catching fish, not showing off tackle then they are better value than cheap new alarms.

Regards, Clive

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/