Perch gorging fry

The Flying Tench

quote:

Pop into Field & Stream in Newbury and you'll get all the gen straight from the horses mouth

[/QB]

Tsh tsh DG - :P Field and Stream closed at Xmas (Ron the owner died last autumn. But all is not lost it recently reopened as Newbury Bait & Tackle!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Plumb:

Field and Stream closed at Xmas (Ron the owner died last autumn. But all is not lost it recently reopened as Newbury Bait & Tackle!

Chris

Many thanks for that info, Chris. Sorry to hear about Ron .. he was a top bloke ... years of experience, and a major player in Kintbury AA from what I remember. Hard to replace, but let's hope the new owner/shop become as good as Ron.

But as johnclarke lives not far from there, he'll most likely have known that info already? Strange he didn't comment on it?

DG

DG the 'new shop' has been taken on by the owners of Crownmead Tackle in Thatcham - and I got the name slightly wrong - It's called Newbury Tackle and Bait - opening is in this weeks NWN.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thanks for that extra info, Chris.

I have of course been past the shop in Thatcham but have never been in there. Always gone to Ron's for good deals (non-rip-off) and top-drawer advice

BTW, Chris, do you happen to know if Peter Drennan still owns The Wilderness stretch of the Kennet?

DG

[ 19. April 2004, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

Well, I've got one of these new-fangled things called a car

How do you get to Hungerford from Newbury

I'm still not getting the horizontal lines, so I'm doing something different, but the quote thing is working, so thanks.

I'm sorry to hear you've got a new fangled thing. We had a teacher at school who wouldn't let us use rulers as he said they were nasty modern machinery, but even he used a car, so i guess it comes to us all - even me. I was surprised 'cos I guess most Londoners wouldn't know this area so well, but I think the fishing here is great, so I can see why you come. makes me realise how fortunate I am to live in a good fishing area. Not many people on AN seem to come from West Berks. It's really interesting to hear Chris P's fishing reports - do let us know when you have a good day here. I don't often report, as I'm a semi-novice, but I did manage a 6lb 9oz chub about a year ago just downstream from Newbury library.

Sorry not to have mentioned Ron's sad demise - I hadn't realised you knew him.

john clarke

quote:

Originally posted by johnclarke:

..... I think the fishing here is great,..... makes me realise how fortunate I am to live in a good fishing area. Not many people on AN seem to come from West Berks. It's really interesting to hear Chris P's fishing reports

Yup, you're right, but I travel both closer ( Essex, Reading ) and much further afield to many other venues where the fishing is as good or even better e.g. Kent, Sussex, Dorset, Norfolk, ... Wales ,,, Ireland ,,, Scotland etc etc yes .... the free stretch in Newbury does attract a lot of anglers. Yup Chris's reports are ace. It'd be my guess that several ANers do fish your area, but not all post or boast They keep very quiet .... about their big chub, big perch and big barbel, and the locations ..

DG

quote:

I don't often report, as I'm a semi-novice, but I did manage a 6 lb 9 oz chub about a year ago just downstream from Newbury library.

A splendid fish ... any chance of uploading a photo?

DG :confused:

quote:

I guess most Londoners wouldn't know this area so well

... and I guess most vicars don't go fishing

____ Posted Image

Rather than being fishermen, I guess they're more usually fishers of men :D

DG

[ 20. April 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG - no photo of the chub, unfortunately.

'Fishing vicars' - aha, I wondered if your comment about walking on the water referred to that. There are a few of us around, though not like the 17th century when vicars could sub-let their 'livings' to a curate and spend most of their time shooting, fishing etc. You'll doubtless know the rudd record was held by a vicar till a year ago or so. Also, Isaac Walton was a very committed christian and churchman, having been converted by John Donne, the famous poet. He believed that 'the best' of Jesus' disciples were all anglers, and for some obscure reason considered that Amos and Moses were anglers, too!

john clarke

Sorry, I clicked something by mistake and finished the last post before I meant to. Just to say that I don't think there's a strong connection for me between my work/faith and fishing, except that, working from home when the telephone can go at any time, I find fishing provides a great way of getting my mind off work and people's problems altogether - I guess a lot of us find that in different lines of work.

Oh yes, and the 'fishers of men' - don't forget we've got lady vicars now.........

john clarke