swapping Security systems

wotnobivvy

Are there any problems switching security systems. I am thinking of buying one of my kids a laptop at Christmas that comes with a trial version of McAfee, but I have Norton on my pc and can add another two devices free of charge. I have heard that some get into the system and Add/Remove programs doesn't delete them completely. I know not to run two concurrently

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Are there any problems switching security systems. I am thinking of buying one of my kids a laptop at Christmas that comes with a trial version of McAfee, but I have Norton on my pc and can add another two devices free of charge. I have heard that some get into the system and Add/Remove programs doesn't delete them completely. I know not to run two concurrently

Norton tends to be the main culprit for burying itself into systems, tho there is removal software available to rid yourself of it. Any seller worth their salt will tailor the software - eg. remove unwanted garbage for you - the grabbing box shifters at Pcworld,Comet, Curry's etc are an exeption to this .

A quick google will find FREE virus software removal tools if needed.

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

@jimpy0 were not all "grabbing box shifters" who work in currys or pc world. Most of us do actually work for the customer. It's not unexpected in a large organisation to get some idiots ( yes I do realise there are some around) but your shouldn't tarnish us all with the same brush.

Cheers

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk Real Men Know About It

Personal experience over the last 15+ years of building and repairing these infernal contraptions has taught me one thing I will always tell my customers!

"Norton was spawned in hell and has buggered more pc's than it has helped!" Lol!

Seriously though I've found it amongst the worst for slowing down systems, hammering CPU usage, blocking Internet for no apparent reason and causing all manner of networking glitches! I wouldn't wish norton 360 or norton Internet security on my most hated enemies!!!

There is no need at all, for the home user, to subscribe to an anti virus!

Use Avast, Avg or even Microsoft security essentials; backed up by malwarebytes and ccleaner and common sense and you won't go far wrong!

Windows 8 now encorporates malware detection with anti virus and your kids new laptop will either have windows 8 as default or it will be a cheap upgrade for £15 ish.

The version of norton you will find on your new laptop will require activation to finalise its install. As such add/remove program's uninstall will be more than adequate to get rid of it! Just do that before you do anything else and you will be fine. It will likely pop up a window at startup asking you to activate for protection...just cancel and uninstall.

If you wish you can use the tool if you do chose to run norton to test.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-supp...lg=en&ct=us

Also make damn sure you create the backup dvd's or whatever recovery options you get on startup! The amount of laptops that come through my office with no recovery options is beyond measure!

Edited by kirisute