Pike get MSC Certification?

Leon Roskilly

Interesting that they would even want the certification since the MSC seems mostly involved with certifying sea fisheries and mostly related to Europe.

I somehow can't see pike & walleye being important as table fish in Europe or Canadians looking for the certs when they shop for those fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

I think it is a Canadian thing. The lake is a government lake. Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) establishes the principles and criteria for sustainable and well-managed fisheries (I guess, even in Canada(?). Also, just a guess - - - the Canadians may want to export these fish to - - say - - the UK and the MSC certification will validate for the Brits that eating imported pike and zander is "civil". After all, it was the fishermen who instituted the request for MSC "certification". Has to be a buck in it for someone - somewhere!!!!!!! Sort of like saying "FDA or USDA approved" in the US????

Phone

There is a "rest of the story" in this article somewhere.