Will perch feed in coloured conditions?

davedave

Evening all,

Hope you had a great christmas and boxing day. So after way too much food in the last 48 hours I decided to drive down to the pond for a walk. Unsurprisingly I found it very coloured. With all the recent rain it's a few inches higher than normal but with the colour of coffee. I would guess that the hard rain we had a few days ago did the worst of it, but the rain showers of the last couple of days has kept enough water on the already saturated ground to keep the stream that feeds the pond topped up, and water continues to flow into the pond. Water is gushing out the outlet but I would say not nearly enough. If we had no rain now for a week I expect it would drop down fine, but mr forecaster says we have basically got rain until the new year and I go back to work next week <_<

With my remaining 3 free days I can fish on before going back to work, i'd love to be able to get out on the banks, for the perch ideally. The rivers are gushing through so it's only the pond and the canal at the moment, and i'd like to have another crack at the perch on the pond before the new year.

So my longly drawn out question is, will perch feed in conditions like these on a stillwater? The pond is very deep, if that would make any difference, would the fish go into deeper water? Basically is it worth hitting the perch for a couple of days or shall I forget it and go down the canal (which oddly fishes quite well in flooded conditions)?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

The answer to your question is that perch most certainly will feed in coloured water.

If they didn't, those on my muddy local ponds (on Wealden Clay) and those in most commercials (where carp keep the water muddy) would starve to death. :o

However, I would suggest bait, rather than lure, in coloured water Good luck

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

yes they will and i agree bait is the way to go chooped worms are a good choice

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Coloured water yes, but not so much if it's full of suspended solids, which might be the case if it's coffee coloured following heavy rain. I've never done any good for any species when the water is like that. If it's heavily coloured but without all the little bits in it, that'll be fine :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks guys, I might leave a day on the pond to my last fishing day, hoping it has fined down a bit by then, but with the weather forecast as it is i'm not particularly hopeful.

Anybody go out yesterday?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Blanked today, 4 hour session. I fished worm on a running rig with about a 2 - 3 ft hooklength. The water was fairly coloured but was better than I expected. It was a shame actually, I had a few bites where the bobbin went about halfway from the floor to the rod but none that fully developed.

I bought a thing of van den eyde predator plus before christmas. Has anyone found it to be any good? I put some on some red maggot but in the end never tried it as I stayed on worm. Going to try prawn tomorrow, might put a glug of it on them, how much of the stuff should I put on?

This is what the pond looked like:

DSC00099-2.jpg

DSC00097-2.jpg

DSC00095-2.jpg

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Thanks :)