20mph speed limits

grumpybum

I believe it is a requirement that they are self-enforcing, which means lots of new traffic hindrance schemes. Expect to see more Chelsea Tractors on the road as people react rationally to councils making the roads like a ploughed field.

The move comes after official figures released in August showed road casualties in 20mph zones increased by almost a quarter in 2011.

The number of people killed or injured on roads in built-up areas with a speed limit of 20mph totalled 2,262 in 2011, up by 24% from 2010.

Meanwhile casualties on 30mph roads were down by 1% from 2010, recorded at 125,494 in 2011, according to data from the DfT.

This was the part i was referring to.

I think those stats are fairly meaningless because of the way that roads have been reclassified. If you reclassify all the roads with the worst accident rates as twenties, you are going to see more accidents in twenties.

You can't legislate brains !

My daily commute takes me along a narrow one way street with cars parked on both sides. The street also happens to contain a special school and is near a station so there are lots of commuters parking up and opening doors.

For obvious reasons, I ride right down the middle of the road, but there's no shortage of would be boy racers roaring along at well over the 30 mph limit and parking their silly selves in my rear wheel.

I suspect that in a lot of cases, the 20 limit will not only have been imposed but is also being enforced - and that's what's making the difference.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.