moor hens, mallards .......

Jonah13

Jonah, that little bugger was taking fish and distrupting our swim, it deserves it!

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent all year with a family of swans on my swim. No one else fishes where I do and I've watched them grow and take their first flight. They have never bothered me all year. When they were young they used to swim through my swim every 5 mins, but I always thought the parents were showing them off. Ok I had to reel in my line when they passed, but I soon got used to that. They never seemed to affect the fishing. As we now approach the vinegar strokes of the season, they have all flown off. I kinda miss them

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

What type of bird is that in the pic way above?

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

It's a Grey Heron and as far as I'm concerned the more of those things you care to 'waste' the better. I know it's natural and all that but I really, really hate seeing them pick off young ducklings in the shallows whilst mother duck is doing her best to defend them.

P.S. Would you send me the herls after - need them for tying up the Kite's Imperial.... :D

Paul

In my opinion i don't think this is a wise thread for anglers to go bantering on about killing wildfowl willy nilly just for the fun of it which is the way it is coming across here. Joke or no joke, you and i know that anyone can look in here and use your statements as ammo for anti-angling purposes..Ray

Paul D

Nature is about checks and balances and I am afraid a Heron is just one of them, young herons are in turn predated upon, by Peregrines foxes Goshawks (if you have them in your area).

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

RollingPinBoy:

In my opinion i don't think this is a wise thread for anglers to go bantering on about killing wildfowl willy nilly just for the fun of it which is the way it is coming across here. Joke or no joke, you and i know that anyone can look in here and use your statements as ammo for anti-angling purposes..Ray

To an extent, Ray, though I reckon that even the least intelligent, most po-faced Anti would realise that we are taking the mick here and that anglers value the company of waterside wildlife as they fish. Elsewhere, though, a battleis raging between rural interests and DEFRA (aka an arm of a Government that many in the rural crew heartily detest).

http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/thejourn...-name_page.html

Best, I reckon, now, for anglers and angling to keep out of much of this politically concocted Town v. Country stuff. Keep a pretty low profile, at least.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I have to agree with Ray. This thread not only damages angling and anglers but provides ammunition to those who would see us off the water. Quotes generally do not do "tongue in cheek" very well.

You may all consider it a fun idea but publishing this stuff will bounce back and hit your fishing.

If you are fishing near swans Jonah13 then all the advice you will get is to move swims and keep a very close eye on your tackle so that you do not cause them any damage. You should not be leaving tackle in the water when swans are near by. There is nothing clever in letting water birds get too close to hooks, baited or otherwise, and you have control of the situation , they do not.

Paul, even if "the least intelligent, most po-faced Anti would realise that we are taking the mick here", it would not stop them using quotes from this thread in their battle against us.

Sorry, IMO, not funny, not clever, just b***dy stupid.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

"If you are fishing near swans Jonah13 then all the advice you will get is to move swims and keep a very close eye on your tackle so that you do not cause them any damage. "

the particular swan is question is a pest it follows anglers around from swim to swim, the manager of the lake is removing the swan with consent of the rspca/b the others at the lake are fine inquisitive but not agressive like the other swan.

Also the swan apperaed in my swim from nowhere as i'd already struck into the fish, i tried to get my tackle and fish in as quick as i could but the swan was too quick. I do not intentionally harm any water fowl, not matter hoiw much a pain in the backside they are!