Angling Trust acts to relocate seal to protect Severn fish stocks

Anglers' Net

Guest 1lastcast

Given where this has gone, I think that the AT needs to just STFU for a while and leave the damned seal alone.

As said, it will find it's own way out of the river eventually and ANY intervention carries risks of the seal drowning in a net, getting involved in a road acident while being transported or of simply getting stressed and dying.

In fact any outcome other than a perfectly happy seal swimming off into a sunset is going to make things worse.

This section of river is on my doorstep and I fish the waters immediately above and below Bewdley regularly. I'd rather see the seal as a permanent resident than have the idiots at the AT damage angling any further.

I await the resignations with baited breath but no great sense of expectation.

Doing nothing doesn't seem to be an option, that many agree on. Also, I would think many other Bewdley anglers would not share your sentiments, especially those that prefer Barbel to spinning...and after all doesn't the AT seem to have a common accord with the Angling fraternity?

I would rather them be the one's that take the lead here.

Guest 1lastcast

Whens it on Elton ? or has it been on

Last night, but

Next Thursday 9pm Quest

You brought the dolphins into the thread, when you suggested that the public didn't know the difference between them and fish. Was that meant as a derogatory remark, or were you just being flippant?

I've been following the the whole sorry story, so was aware of the situation in regard to the planned attempt to capture the seal. I haven't yet read the views of "the experts", could you tell me who these experts are? I've only seen a reference to some unnamed "experts" in a report by one of the 'red tops', but as usual no specifics, so I would be interested to know who they are.

Who's said the seal is suffering, that must be something else I missed.

Regardless of any common sense that might have sprung up in today's reports, it will be the 'trigger' words, "shoot the seal" that will be remembered longer, (and be used against anglers), than any resolution to the alleged problem. You only have to look at the social network topics to see that the belief is that the campaigners have saved the seal from the 'big, bad, cruel. anglers. How the ATr manage to speak with a mouth full of feet amazes me.

You still haven't told me how you think all the other seals that strayed inland, found their way downstream.

John.

I can see John any attempt to reply to your question would probably trigger another set of questions that have already been answered, so for the sake of sanity, I won't.

Edited by 1lastcast

Probably best not to dig such hot head remarks and post them up on here then?

More like simple minded...

I put the link up as it's relevant to the debate - a high profile angler with a media platform saying the seal should be shot to stop it eating fish.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Doing nothing doesn't seem to be an option, that many agree on. Also, I would think many other Bewdley anglers would not share your sentiments, especially those that prefer Barbel to spinning...and after all doesn't the AT seem to have a common accord with the Angling fraternity?

I would rather them be the one's that take the lead here.

I imagine that with so much mis-information flying around in the media and AT's ridiculous press release, most people who signed the petition want to see the seal removed so that 'anglers' don't do something stupid. Regardless of the outcome, the flavour of anglers amongst a lot of posters on the seal website has gone from tasteless to one of severe distaste...the damage has been done. Fortunately, a lot of anglers, including Ron Angel and Barry Luxton (apologies to those that I haven't named) have been working very hard to try and restore the good name of angling that 'our' "governing body" has managed to smear in the mud. Unfortunately, historically some of the anglers of Bewdley seem to be quite a militant bunch and this is not the first time that they've been in the press (angling at least) for 'insensitive' statements that had the capacity to damage angling further. Remember the Willow Creek Angling Club 'proposed matches in the close season' fiasco? Fortunately that seemed to be largely restricted to the angling press, but it had the potential to show some anglers up as being rather insensitive to the close season.

The Severn is our largest river, with many people other than anglers using its 'facilities'. With the AT making such crass statements in a press release about such an emotive subject on such a river I'm sure (as has already been displayed) a lot of anglers are rather dismayed that the AT are pretending to show any kind of accord with the angling community. I'm also sure that a hell of a lot more anglers who have never even heard of the AT are wondering who and what the hell they are!

I do agree with you on one thing though, I would also rather the AT take the lead here.....preferably coated in a full metal jacket!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Last night, but

Next Thursday 9pm Quest

I can see John any attempt to reply to your question would probably trigger another set of questions that have already been answered, so for the sake of sanity, I won't.

I'm beginning to have concerns about my own sanity. Apart from my missing the identity of the "experts", I seem to have missed the answers to my questions as well!

Never mind, I'll just keep taking the tablets, and hope things get better.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest 1lastcast

I imagine that with so much mis-information flying around in the media and AT's ridiculous press release, most people who signed the petition want to see the seal removed so that 'anglers' don't do something stupid. Regardless of the outcome, the flavour of anglers amongst a lot of posters on the seal website has gone from tasteless to one of severe distaste...the damage has been done. Fortunately, a lot of anglers, including Ron Angel and Barry Luxton (apologies to those that I haven't named) have been working very hard to try and restore the good name of angling that 'our' "governing body" has managed to smear in the mud. Unfortunately, historically some of the anglers of Bewdley seem to be quite a militant bunch and this is not the first time that they've been in the press (angling at least) for 'insensitive' statements that had the capacity to damage angling further. Remember the Willow Creek Angling Club 'proposed matches in the close season' fiasco? Fortunately that seemed to be largely restricted to the angling press, but it had the potential to show some anglers up as being rather insensitive to the close season.

The Severn is our largest river, with many people other than anglers using its 'facilities'. With the AT making such crass statements in a press release about such an emotive subject on such a river I'm sure (as has already been displayed) a lot of anglers are rather dismayed that the AT are pretending to show any kind of accord with the angling community. I'm also sure that a hell of a lot more anglers who have never even heard of the AT are wondering who and what the hell they are!

I do agree with you on one thing though, I would also rather the AT take the lead here.....preferably coated in a full metal jacket!

Your so right Worms regarding the remarks regarding this whole sorry affair, seems like we really are so fractured as anglers it'st the hot heads that get all the quotes in the gutter press especially. The whole mess I hope as you do is with the AT to deal with, let's hope for a reasonable outcome.

As you may know the AT has only a 15,000 or so membership so they are not exactly flush with funds, and with 1.5 million rod licence's sold it seems a poor take up, perhaps this might help with recruitment, if they deal with it well.

Point taken about Willow Creek, bloody Pirates. :bones:

Guest 1lastcast

I'm beginning to have concerns about my own sanity. Apart from my missing the identity of the "experts", I seem to have missed the answers to my questions as well!

Never mind, I'll just keep taking the tablets, and hope things get better.

John.

Me too, Oh well we have a mild spell on the way, chance then to regain some sanity on the River.

Your so right Worms regarding the remarks regarding this whole sorry affair, seems like we really are so fractured as anglers it'st the hot heads that get all the quotes in the gutter press especially. The whole mess I hope as you do is with the AT to deal with, let's hope for a reasonable outcome.

As you may know the AT has only a 15,000 or so membership so they are not exactly flush with funds, and with 1.5 million rod licence's sold it seems a poor take up, perhaps this might help with recruitment, if they deal with it well.

Point taken about Willow Creek, bloody Pirates. :bones:

Perhaps you misunderstood the gist of my comments regarding the AT.This whole sorry affair is the reason why they have the support of less than 1% of licensed anglers...Many were against them before they started, and even more against them within a very short while after they got up and running. From the comments on their website I'm sure they're going to lose quite a few more members as well. If they gain more because of the seal debacle, well, even more of a reason not to support them if they have members with that kind of attitude.

My point about the AT taking the "lead" was as in the heavy metal, not from being in a position at the front...hence the FMJ comment!

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest 1lastcast

Perhaps you misunderstood the gist of my comments regarding the AT.This whole sorry affair is the reason why they have the support of less than 1% of licensed anglers...Many were against them before they started, and even more against them within a very short while after they got up and running. From the comments on their website I'm sure they're going to lose quite a few more members as well. If they gain more because of the seal debacle, well, even more of a reason not to support them if they have members with that kind of attitude.

My point about the AT taking the "lead" was as in the heavy metal, not from being in a position at the front...hence the FMJ comment!

I did, I see now your stance on the AT lead,lead, the English language eh?

Where would we be without it?

The USA probably :hypocrite: ......................................................one for you Phone!