a cook on the wild side

*Ant*

Whilst watching "A Cook on the Wild Side" over the weekend, I heard mentioned that a certain leaf from a tree was used many years ago as a type of valium, and it was great for getting you off to sleep.

Being a sufferer of insomnia, i'd like to give it a try. Can anyone tell me the name of this substance and where I could find some?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I haven't got my copy of A.C.O.T.W.S. to hand (I must remember to ask for it back tomorrow). However, quoting from another book of mine....

"A cup (225 ml) of hop (Humulus lupulus) tea taken before retiring to bed is a useful sedative for insomnia except for anyone suffering from depression. It combines well with valerian (Valeriana officinalis) which reduces tension and anxiety, and passion flower leaves (Passiflora incarnata). Chamomile(Chamaemelum nobile) tea and catnip (Nepeta cataria) tea are traditional relaxing bedtime drinks that will reduce anxiety and promote restful sleep".

Paul

Also Bergamot. The plant is native to North America and was used by the Oswego Indians. It therefore became known as 'Oswego Tea'.

It's a soothing and refreshing drink that will induce sleep.

3 teaspoons fresh Bergamot leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried leaves) 1 cupful water, honey to sweeten.

Put the leaves into a jug and add a cupful of boiling water, cover and allow to infuse for 4 mins. Sweeten with honey.

Bergamot grows in clumps in swampy woodlands and is very easy to cultivate.

Passion flower (Passiflora incarnata) is more readily availabe. The dried flowers and fruit tops are used, and they can be bought in most herb shops if you can't find any growing locally.

This makes a lovely mild sedative and has no residual 'hangover' effects unlike some sleep-inducing herbs and most sleeping pills.

Help me unhook these, please.

.....Only when the moon is full and you are standing on one leg, cross-eyed, wearing an emeald green shirt

Seriously, if you have problems obtaining ingredients I am happy to get them for you and post them to an address of your choice.

Must go, an acqaintance is calling round for some serious wart removal. :rolleyes::D

Help me unhook these, please.

quote:

Seriously, if you have problems obtaining ingredients I am happy to get them for you and post them to an address of your choice.

Got any Hemlock L.O.? The wife and I have been having 'words' tonight.. :mad:

Paul