swivel knot

Stefan

done a nighter sunday/monday.

so this morning (monday) as the light was coming up, the carp started feeding off the top. So i got out the floater gear.

10lb mainline, bubblefloat, swivel, 8lb hook length and size 8 hair-rigged. The problem was that i got a take off an estimated 15lber, as i struck i made contact for about 3 seconds, them it went loose. I reeled in to find that my knot had slipped apart at the swivel, leaving the fish with the hook in its mouth. As you can imagine i was devastated, my pb off the top is 8lb and i could have doubled it with this fish.

My question is, can anyone recommend a very strong, reliable, easy to tie hook to be used with a swivel. I use a tucked 1/2 blood knot, but this is hard to tie as the point of a swivel is to stop line twist, and the knot needs line twist.

Stefan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grinner knot. Strong as hell and it doesn't crush the line.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Bloody hell that was quick. What an annoyingly efficient forum....lol

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Learn the Grinner Knot and it will do you for tieing on any think with an eye or for joining line together.Dead easy and can be tied in the dark without the need for Blackpool Illuminations!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The grinner knot is my no one choice.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Budgie / Rudd / Peter

I am using braid for the first time this coming season. Is the diagram of the grinner knot posted by Andy correct, as I have seen other diagrams where the line weaves through each individual loop created when the line is first twisted round the mainline?

Cheers

Steve

Before the loop is created you are often shown to take four/five turns upn the line,this is for two reasons,it keeps the loop in place and helps the knot gather up when tightening.With mono I use this with braid I dispense with these turns and just make a loop.This helps when tightening up.It also helps the knot form properly if you are using the twice through the eye method often reccomended for braid.I am not over sold on the need for going through the eye twice.Most times the two passes of line end up crossing each other any way if great care isnt taken.A lot of people have told me it is essentiall but the hundreds of ton plus cats caught either by myself or customers on hooks with only one pass through the eye leads me to doubt this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!