Blogs or the Forum?

Rusty

Hi Elton,

I've just joined the Forum and would like to post a few blogs of my own, but even my computor wizard son can't figure out how to get one on. Help please. You've got some really eloquent bloggers on here and I'd like to join them.

Ken,

You should just be able to go here - http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/blogs/ - and use the 'Add Entry' button towards the top, right of the page, I believe.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hang on...it's set that you need to be a member, rather than new member, first. That's to stop people signing up and spamming it :) Therefore, once you reach 15 posts, it should be available.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I don't mind either way really, I don't write a blog as it see it as a diary, detailing each and every session. I'm not really interested in writing one of those, although I do enjoy reading other people's. If I've had a notable or interesting session (or series of sessions, sometimes) I usually do a post on the main forum. The catch reports and descriptions of days fishing are what first attacted me to the forum (especially as AN has always had a number of all-rounders), so I do like seeing them on the main forum, especially if they then generate an interesting topic. Without them the forum feels rather bare to me, and soon slides into politics and 'I'm going to this pond, what's the best peg' type questions.

I am the same. If I have a session worth mentioning that may be of interest to others or have asked a question and put an answer into practice I like to post on main Forum for all to see. Not going to start a blog as I may become known as a 'Blanker' !!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

This has reminded me that I still haven't properly told the story behind a PB perch back in the autumn - I'll do that in the next couple of days. My number must have been on that one, I can tell you! The odds of landing that fish were not good!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All,

Well, I've been reading some blogs with this thread in mind. Here's what I've noticed.

Forums create a discussion on a particular topic by allowing, in fact encouraging, commenting on the topic. For whatever it’s worth a forum seems to interact with others on a topic. (and is often by various degrees hyjacked)

I certainly don’t disagree with those that say “topics” on forums often take unfocused unpredictable directions. “Replies” within a forum participation is explicitly requested (actually implied I guess) by the original poster. A discussion is not a discussion without a reply.

A blog seems to me to be the posting of specific content by the blog owner and is the main purpose, not the commenting of others. They seem designed for single user personal input. All “comments” on an event seem to be directed at the author. “Comments” on a blog, the author does not need further participation to reach a personal goal - comment if you want.

Since there are "information only" catagories used by forum owners and degrees of moderation - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like the forum.

I think if a blogger wants a critical review of topical circumstances I would enjoy it in the forum. On the blog I would feel like "it's none of my business" beyond reading the short stories. They all seem quite personal.

Phone

edit: On the forum, if the most I have to say is "nice fish" I usually don't bother to comment at all. The guy knows he posted a picture of a fish. I try to have something else to add with the idea we are having a conversation.

Edited by Phone

I started a personal blog style website http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/ in December, following encouragement from others, after flyfishing forum posts and emails to friends. You put it online and see what happens. I already have a healthy, growing readership, who like my style, but also those that have gained from the information posted. It's not a commercial site and cost little to set up, as my son is a software developer, it still being a work in progress. Bloggers feel they have something to share and I enjoy reading them. You are never too old to learn.

Hi Elton,

Sorry, but help needed with my blog. As a try out I posted just one of of my blogs "Roach Therapy", which was receiving views, so decided to post all the fishing posts on my site to the externally linked blog area. Clicked on Manage Blogs, changed the title and the URL to cover all the fishing posts and pressed Save. I now seem to have two identical posts on kenj's blog. Ken

I like the potential for a right good argument on the forum. I find it cleanses the soul.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...