Yellow Rice and Tench

rob.i

I don't know if you remember, Rob, but I tried yellow rice on my stretch of the canal, a month back. The grains wouldn't stay on the hook, so I threw the whole lot in as groundbait and fished breadflake. I had a great session, catching some good bream. It's certainly worth a try for tench, but you might want to add a bit of extra flavour (something like green-lipped mussel extract) because tench are supposed to like strong tastes.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Tried the rice mixed with a small amount of mussel and squid groundbait with corn on the hook,worked for the bream and roach but alas not the tinca .Ah well maybe next time....rob

when you think you know everything think again....

As a back-up to the yellow rice and sweetcorn, Rob, try some cockles (also yellow!) Sometimes (but not always) they work like magic - usually a very positive bite. Make sure the siphon bit is on the hook though, cos if you only hook through the cockle's foot the cockle gets dragged off the hook.

PS that's frozen cockles, not pickled ones

[ 10. September 2004, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The Tench will now not make many apperances on the bank.

Best bait this time of year is something small like caster or squatts that will sit on the bottom without digging into silt.

It is the best time of year for bream, they usually go on a mad one in Sept.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

rob.i:

I am going to target tench tomorrow and wondered if anyone had ever used yellow rice as loose feed

....so how did the yellow peril go?

I had six tench on cockles this morning (Sun) fishing over a thin carpet of frozen maggot. Only up to 2-8 tho'. Fished wriggly maggot on t'other rod and got some crucians.

Turned very cold and windy about 10 am and bites ceased, so packed up, walked round lake, and tidied up some litter :( before going home to lunch.

Found two floats, half a dozen shot and a rod-rest amongst the litter

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...