99.9%

RUDD

99.9% is the amount of sound reflected off a waters surface.

Thanks to prof. Brian Cox I now understand why some of the noiser anglers who sit and talk or even shout at each other still catch fish.

Only 0.1% of sound gets down to the fish.

Vibration is most certainly a fishes key sense and can be used to an anglers advantage or ruin the chance of that specimen fish thanks to a clumsy movement.

Must remember to turn phone off vibrate and back on to full volume next time out on the bank!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

You've come to the right conclusion but for the wrong reason.

Ever see a fishes ears? Probably not. They have mechanoreceptors (just google). They don't have external ears but they do have mechanoreceptors, located within their bodies as well as a lateral line system that actually lets them feel their surroundings. I used to have a box or two full of fish ears, they are called otoliths. Some fish have really big ones.

Common carp have something similar to ampullae’s of Lorenzini (also google) that is an electro receptive system. A sense we don't have. In sharks, if there is not any other distortion this system could detect the heartbeat of a fish 500 miles away. At least that's what I've been told.

Much like in humans, I doubt there is a "key sense" but if there is I'd say it is the mechanoreceptors. (I'd have to think about it - for example, blind carp get along just fine).

Phone

Phone, otoliths used to be my thing - I worked on them for my PhD.

Vibrations are sound and sound is vibration, but the propagation from air to water is poor. Stamp your feet, though...

Steve,

I was pretty simplistic. I didn't do any internet research or anything. Perhaps you could take a shot at explaining it better.

I know in SE Missouri where earthquakes are quite common (New Madrin fault) a little trimbler will shut fisning down like a hammer dropped. Maybe for a couple hours.

I like the topic and spent lots of time on fish senses in search of the perfect bait.

Phone

We collected drum otoliths, from dime size to quarter size, sometimes bigger. They are traded for good luck in the midwest amongst commercial fishermen.

Steve,

I should explain myself. Do you think the timbre of force is deflected? My thinking is that only tone would be affected/effected; force would be unaltered? I don't know the answer. Don't think I;ve ever ask this queston before in my life.

Phone

Basic issue is that fish are of similar density to water, which makes them effectively transparent to sound waves. The otolith is much denser than the fish, which means that the vibrations move it slightly relative to the surrounding tissue. Hair cells react to the movement, producing nerve impulses which are perceived by the fish. There is research published after my time linking the shape and density if otoliths to the frequency response of the fish, but I've not read it properly.

I would guess that lower frequencies are of more interest to fish firstly because they carry further and secondly because they are more likely to be tell-tales of a predator presence.