live baiting for perch

oneillbox

been fishing for many many years but only this year found a really good way to catch perch on livebait in a local lake that also holds a good head of pike.

use a half filled 1 and a half inch clear bubble float, the line passed through only one hole and held in place with a couple of BB shot, then after about 2 feet of line attach a steel trace with a single size 10 treble hook, i have been using either rudd or perch as livebait, and the perch enjoy eating themselves more than they do rudd !!!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been fishing for many many years but only this year found a really good way to catch perch on livebait in a local lake that also holds a good head of pike.

use a half filled 1 and a half inch clear bubble float, the line passed through only one hole and held in place with a couple of BB shot, then after about 2 feet of line attach a steel trace with a single size 10 treble hook, i have been using either rudd or perch as livebait, and the perch enjoy eating themselves more than they do rudd !!!

the perch have even been hitting the livebait as it swims on the surface, lovely clear water lake, and the last 2 hours before dusk seem to work best.

What is the best way to put a live bait on the hook?

Depend on the size, I go for liphooking a bait intended for perch, some go for the hook through the back

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

A lot depends on the size and species of the bait. Ive found that perch often attack a large or strong baits tail first to try and slow it down a bit! Small carp and especially trout fall into this group. Obviously in this situation the hook is best in the tail.Also the type of rig your using makes a difference. Realy small baits (I personally prefer baits of between 4 1/2 and 5") have to be lip hooked else they die to quickly.

Using small baits and the likes of minnows might be what the books say but Ive found the bigger baits much better for perch of over 1 1/2lbs.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Rabbit
What is the best way to put a live bait on the hook?

Why bother to kill a fish to catch another? There are some really good lures now that do a better job, not being judgemental but it's 2008.

2008 or not you are really kidding your self if you think that lures can catch as much as livebaits in all conditions.I wish they did as it would save an awfull lot of effort.

Each to his own regards using/liking any method but if some one doesnt like a method or isnt comfortable about using it then simply say so rather than dissmissing it as unecessary or inferior.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

2008 or not you are really kidding your self if you think that lures can catch as much as livebaits in all conditions.I wish they did as it would save an awfull lot of effort.

Each to his own regards using/liking any method but if some one doesnt like a method or isnt comfortable about using it then simply say so rather than dissmissing it as unecessary or inferior.

Totally agree, you have to use methods that work on their day

Live baiting is a flippin' hassle if you ask me but it's the only method that works for me at the moment so I use it.

Come autumn It'll back to lazy fishing with deadbaits

As for hooking depends what rig your using...free roving/trotting through the lip is good, paternoster hook the bait in the dorsal and tail so it swims against the rig avoiding tangles.

Edited by Neil G