human rights legislation

chesters1

does anyone know where i can get detailed information

concerning the legislation applicable to the uk ,all i can find is sites willing to let me see it on the the web for a fee of £600 :mad: it seems it is a case of the wealthy having access to their rights not the poor :confused:

there must be somewhere a data base ,so people can look for themselves ,if we dont know what our rights are how do we know when there being abused :confused:

the reason : i have recieved my register of electors

form ,i do not vote so why should i have to fill in the form :confused:

i can opt out of apearing on the public version which is available to everyone ,this is good :)

i CANNOT opt out of apearing on the other version which is also available to the public (through libraries etc) ,this is not good (before anyone jumps ,if banks ,police etc can use this information then ANYONE can),this is not good :mad:

last year we didnt appear on the cencus nor the register of electors (we were homeless) nothing untoward happend ,my legs didnt fall off etc ,it didnt stop us getting a council house etc.

if i dont tell the gov that the old occupiers appearing on the form have moved then i break the law ,if i tell them that they no longer reside there but dont tell them who does ,then i break the law,

if i ignore the form ,i break the law

my points are :

1) if foreign nationals can opt out (by being illegable to vote) why cant i?

2) if i tick the "other" box i have to explain why,

not wishing to appear on the register is not a valid reason :mad:

3) why should i

4) why should i 2

:mad:

EVERY site i have looked at (including the goverment one) tells me how to get ON the register

not ONE tells me how to stay off ,this is unfair in a so called democratic country

[ 31. August 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

Take a look here or here.

But don't forget, where ever there are rights there are also responsiblities.

If you wish to take advantage of the human rights granted by the 1998 Act, then you also need to shoulder your responsibilities.

That perhaps includes taking part in the democratic process in this country, including voting for a government that grants those rights.

I am afraid you really cannot take one or other, it has to be both.

i am afraid the the human rights stuff is more or less forced on the government (i`m sure they wouldnt implement any of it if they could) so opting out of voting has no relevance to the legislation (or being on it either)

WHY SHOULD my (or anyone elses)privacy be invaded by anyone :mad: as soon as i appear on the register then tom dick and harry can invade my privacy (youve all seen the software available) i can go ex directory on the phone but i cannot go ex directory on the register ,why should criminals in prison ,foreigners etc have more rights than me :confused: :mad:

i am quite happy living in obscurity my sad life is just what i want ,I DO NOT want to tell the government anything ,why should i :mad:

i cannot believe the legislation is so flawed it full of get outs

i think acts 5 8 9 10 may help BUT this goverment on a whim can overide them :mad:

my statement is :

why should the government force me to fill in a form that can contavene acts 5,8,9,10

also act 14 ,the government is descriminating agains a person who wants to say NO (on pain of a fine)

there must be a fuller text out there some where

these are just the basics

if more people said NO to this power mad corrupt system we have perhaps we`d get a better government,britains have lost the power of independant thought, shame on you

[ 31. August 2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest NickInTheNorth

quote:

Originally posted by chesters1:

i am afraid the the human rights stuff is more or less forced on the government (i`m sure they wouldnt implement any of it if they could) so opting out of voting has no relevance to the legislation (or being on it either)

The legislation that enshrined these rights in UK law was one of the many things which the Labour party promised to deliver if elected in 1997. Did you vote for or against?

Successive UK governments had quite happily not passed this legislation from the 1950's 'til 1997.

WHY SHOULD my (or anyone elses)privacy be invaded by anyone as soon as i appear on the register then tom dick and harry can invade my privacy (youve all seen the software available) i can go ex directory on the phone but i cannot go ex directory on the register ,why should criminals in prison ,foreigners etc have more rights than me

We are all members of a society, as such we have certain responsibilities, one of which is to provide for an efficient system of government. People who choose for whatever reason not to participate in the democratic process get the government they deserve. If you do not like the rules the government make then get involved in changing it. Don't just whinge.

i am quite happy living in obscurity my sad life is just what i want ,I DO NOT want to tell the government anything ,why should i

Because you are quite happy to take things from the government. Nothing wrong with that, but along with the right to certain benefits from belonging to a society, that society is entitled to DEMAND certain actions, such as registering as an elector.

i cannot believe the legislation is so flawed it full of get outs

Where?

i think acts 5 8 9 10 may help BUT this goverment on a whim can overide them

Article 5 not relevant

Article 8 section 2 very relevant. But it does not help your case, rather it works against you.

Article 9 as article 8

Article 10 as article 8 and 9

my statement is :

why should the government force me to fill in a form that can contavene acts 5,8,9,10

also act 14 ,the government is descriminating agains a person who wants to say NO (on pain of a fine)

Because you are required to do so as part of your obligation to society.

there must be a fuller text out there some where

these are just the basics

As with much of the best legislation it is quite brief. But the Act is the fullest statement of the law as applicable in the UK. If you wish to see more detail you will need to read the full text of judgements handed down either by UK courts, particularly thr Court of Appeal, or House of Lords, and even better is to read judgments passed down from the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg. But they only really reinforce and magnify what is set out in the Act.

if more people said NO to this power mad corrupt system we have perhaps we`d get a better government,britains have lost the power of independant thought, shame on you

No what we would get would be anarchy. If you have a problem with the government of this country get involved. Join a party, or start a new one. Campaign for what you want. Pursuade others that your point of view is correct. Stand for election. Get elected.

Chesters1 for PM. (But only if he registers as an elector.)

why is it a good thing if were forced to do it?

this is a form of control ,where else do we fill in a form to say were eligable to do some thing

if i want to drive a car i apply for a licence ,i have no qualms in that ,but we dont have to fill in a form to say we`re ELLIGABLE to apply for the driving licence if i wanted to get one,ie is there a form we fill in to say "in the future i MAY want to get a driving license so here is all my details"

or wheres the form i fill in to say "i MAY need a passport in the future so heres where i live"

or a form saying "in the future i MAY think about getting a shotgun certificate"

or "in the future i MAY want to go fishing so i will get a license,please store all my details incase the need arises"

nothing is needed to fill in "just incase" ,when you want to do it you apply for the form and send it in.

so if i need to vote for something in 20 years time

THEN i`l apply to go on the list,untill then they should keep their noses out

all the acts are relevant

security : if a third party on a whim can walk into a library find out my address then rob me ,then my security is breached ,this also applies to privacy ,descrimination (because others do not have to fill in the form)and the right of expression ,i express myself by refusing to comply if i have to comply then my right is breached

the rest are the same ,my belief is "why should i fill in this form" if someone forces me to do it ,then my right is breached

no laws in this country are passed by the people ,only the corrupt people the country elects,

you can vote `em in but you cant tell them what to do.

Guest NickInTheNorth

The register of electors is there to show how many people are eligible to vote. From that is decided where council wards, UK and european constituencies etc have there boundaries. In addition the register is simply compiled once per year, you don't opt in at the last minute if you want to vote. You register to enable you to vote if and when you wish to do so.

In actual fact, if I understand you correctly and part of your means of protest against UK government (in general) is to deliberately withold your vote from any candidate, then you are in fact not doing so. By not registering to vote (i.e. not being on the electoral register) you do not have a vote to withold, and are making no impact whatsoever on the electoral process. :D

As to all the items you say you do not need to register for to show that you may be eligible for it some time in the future; your parents took care of that shortly after you were born.

youve got it if i WANT to vote ,I DONT want to vote ,therefore why waste public money FORCING me to fill in an irrelevant form (and ofcourse the next lot of forms warning me of the penalties for not filling in the first one and then the expense of doorstep people issuing menacing words)why cant they just have a box saying "opt out".

all the time third parties can use the information then were all open to abuse :(

i am not using the option of voting to with-hold the vote from a party ,i have never found any party worth voting for ,the party politics take over as soon as their voted in and all sense goes out the door ,they use spin to get them in ,then corrupt their manifesto`s with self greed ,the electorate are ignored if it is contary to party politics

[ 31. August 2002, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Guest NickInTheNorth

No, Article 5, RIGHT TO LIBERTY AND SECURITY is concerned with your right not to be detained (arrested) without due cause, in this context security has nothing to do with preventing possible intruders into your home etc.

Guest NickInTheNorth
chesters1:

youve got it if i WANT to vote ,I DONT want to vote ,therefore why waste public money FORCING me to fill in an irrelevant form (and ofcourse the next lot of forms warning me of the penalties for not filling in the first one and then the expense of doorstep people issuing menacing words)why cant they just have a box saying "opt out".

all the time third parties can use the information then were all open to abuse :(

But you haven't got it.

You are not excercising a right not to vote. Only by filling in the form do you have a right to vote, or not to vote.

The use to which 3rd parties may or may not put that information is another matter altogether. But don't kid yourself that by not registering you are preventing people finding information about you. There are plenty of other sources of information far more revealing than the electoral register.

You have an obligation to fill in the form, you do not have to vote once it is filled in. If you want to change that, then elect a government that agrees with you. :D:D