Begginer needing Tips.

banjo7

Hi,

I am a inexperienced 14 year old who wants to get into fishing.

I have fished 3 times before in Ireland but had no success.

I have purchased my first license and am looking to go fishing later this week.

I will be fishing at the Chase Fishery in Dagenham which is two Lakes.

The Fish in the lakes is Carp,Pike,Roach,Tench,Perch And Crucian.

All i need to know is a few Beginners tips.

Also what bait would you reccomend?

Thanks,

Hi banjo!

I'd recommend a simple float fishing setup, with bulk shot around the float and a couple of smaller shot to sink the bait. If you have a plummet, find the depth and start fishing at dead depth (just touching the bottom). From there, you can decide whether the bites are coming from that depth, lying on the bottom, or up in the water.

Ideal bait would be a couple of pints of maggots, a tub of worms and maybe some sweetcorn! Bread is worth a go too, but quite hard to keep on the hook. When using flake (ie not part of the crust), cover the hook with the piece and just pinch it on around the eye and shank. Don't pinch too much as you'll take away the natural action of the flake in the water.

Hope that gives you something to go on!

You cant go far wrong with maggots, sweetcorn and bread. I find bread to be the more difficult to put on the hook.

Pellets are good for commercial waters such as The Chase as well.

Float fishing is a good way to start. (sorry if some of this is obvious)

Personally I would suggest starting with a pint of maggots, 3lb line, size 16 or 18 hook and put a couple of maggots on it. Once you have threaded the line through the guides either put a float rubber on or (if you dont have any) put your chosen float on. Tie the hook on or a swivel and hooklength then put a small weight up the line AFTER the float to trap the float.

If you have a plummet then us this now to check the depth of the spot you will be fishing. If you dont have a plummet, gently pinch 1 or 2 SSG shots on the line just above your hook and drop or cast your float into the spot you will fish. If the float lays flat you have it set too deep, if its dragged under its set too shallow. Move the smaller float up or down the line to find the depth of the water. This really is quite important.

Once you have done this open your tub of maggots and throw 6-8 of them in to the spot where you will be fishing. This spot does not have to be 50 yards out, I was fishing at the length of my rod tip on Sunday and caught plenty of fish. While your getting your rod rests stuck in the ground and chair set up keep chucking in 6-8 maggots every couple of minutes, this will build up your swim and get the fish very interested.

Just before you cast in throw in another 6-8 maggots, then make your cast. If its windy and your line is dragging across the surface, moving your bait/float away from your swim then make your cast further out and then sink your line.

To sink the line just tighten up to your float, put about a foot of your rod tip under the water and then quickly yank the rod tip upwards, as if you were striking. This should sink the line.

Keep throwing in maggots, especially before you cast. And be patient, it can take a while for fish to feed depending on weather.

Sorry if this is preachy, I was teaching my young brother in-law and I'm still in "tutor mode" :D

I would love to know how you got on, The Chase and The Tom Thumb lakes used to be where my Brother taught me how to fish!

You cant go far wrong with maggots, sweetcorn and bread. I find bread to be the more difficult to put on the hook.

Pellets are good for commercial waters such as The Chase as well.

Float fishing is a good way to start. (sorry if some of this is obvious)

Personally I would suggest starting with a pint of maggots, 3lb line, size 16 or 18 hook and put a couple of maggots on it. Once you have threaded the line through the guides either put a float rubber on or (if you dont have any) put your chosen float on. Tie the hook on or a swivel and hooklength then put a small weight up the line AFTER the float to trap the float.

If you have a plummet then us this now to check the depth of the spot you will be fishing. If you dont have a plummet, gently pinch 1 or 2 SSG shots on the line just above your hook and drop or cast your float into the spot you will fish. If the float lays flat you have it set too deep, if its dragged under its set too shallow. Move the smaller float up or down the line to find the depth of the water. This really is quite important.

Once you have done this open your tub of maggots and throw 6-8 of them in to the spot where you will be fishing. This spot does not have to be 50 yards out, I was fishing at the length of my rod tip on Sunday and caught plenty of fish. While your getting your rod rests stuck in the ground and chair set up keep chucking in 6-8 maggots every couple of minutes, this will build up your swim and get the fish very interested.

Just before you cast in throw in another 6-8 maggots, then make your cast. If its windy and your line is dragging across the surface, moving your bait/float away from your swim then make your cast further out and then sink your line.

To sink the line just tighten up to your float, put about a foot of your rod tip under the water and then quickly yank the rod tip upwards, as if you were striking. This should sink the line.

Keep throwing in maggots, especially before you cast. And be patient, it can take a while for fish to feed depending on weather.

Sorry if this is preachy, I was teaching my young brother in-law and I'm still in "tutor mode" :D

I would love to know how you got on, The Chase and The Tom Thumb lakes used to be where my Brother taught me how to fish!

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah the Chase has been rejuvenated from what ive heard.

It was taking over by a by a company which unfortnately charges £6 a go but apparently 30lb + Carp being caught.

Im also visiting West Cork in late August which is great for Fishing.

Im looking at around Ross Carberry and may try a bit of Saltwater out at Inchydoney Beach.

Thanks for the help and ill let you know how it goes.

Ill be purchasing some bait and other stuff tomorrow. I hope to be fishing on Friday.

Fruitloopy you seem to be from around here judging by your experience of Chase Fishery.

What good fishing spots are around here?

Just a couple of general points about using bread, it's a very easy bait once you understand it.

For flake the bread has to be completely fresh, otherwise it is difficult to get it to stay on the hook, slightly stale bread can be revived in a microwave (or a steamer). Proper bread is good for flake but you can also use the supermarket cheapo stuff.

For crust I always use real bread rather than cheap stuff but it needs to be a couple of days old for the best results.

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah the Chase has been rejuvenated from what ive heard.

It was taking over by a by a company which unfortnately charges £6 a go but apparently 30lb + Carp being caught.

Im also visiting West Cork in late August which is great for Fishing.

Im looking at around Ross Carberry and may try a bit of Saltwater out at Inchydoney Beach.

Thanks for the help and ill let you know how it goes.

Ill be purchasing some bait and other stuff tomorrow. I hope to be fishing on Friday.

Fruitloopy you seem to be from around here judging by your experience of Chase Fishery.

What good fishing spots are around here?

Sorry Banjo7, I used to live on Reede Road but moved out 20 years ago. My brother, his friend and I used to walk through an alleyway at the side of the May and Baker factory up to the Tom Thumb lake. I remember on one day catching 12 roach while my older and more experienced brother caught nothing.

How I laughed. :lol:

I actually contacted the Ranger Services Manager of Tom Thumb and the Chase as I was interested in fishing there for some nostalgia. I had been told it had changed beyond all recognition.

Here is the response I got if it helps:

Thanks for your enquiry regarding Tom Thumb Lake.

Unfortunately the lake is closed for fishing at the moment. The good news is that this is due to £120,000 worth of improvement works to the lake which have been undertaken over the last 12 months. We are hoping to complete the project and re-stock the lake by the end of May with the resumption of angling scheduled for the beginning of June.

It will be re-opening as a day ticket fishery with a mix of crucial carp, roach, rudd, tench, perch and possibly bream. All of the large carp have been removed from the lake and relocated to another called Eastbrook Pond as we will be using Tom Thumb as a venue for junior angling coaching sessions and workshops.

If you have any further questions or queries please don't hesitate to get in touch using the contact details below.

Regards,

Martin Page

Ranger Services Manager

Parks & Countryside Ranger Service

Leisure, Arts & Olympics

Regeneration Department

London Borough of Barking & Dagenham

The Millennium Centre, The Chase,

Dagenham Road, Rush Green,

Romford, Essex. RM7 0SS.

Tel: (020) 8595 4155

Fax: (020) 8984 9488

Mobile: 07976 121 044

Email: martin.page@lbbd.gov.uk

Hope you have a good time there though.

Good luck mate.

I'm too far away to know the place, but I googled it and came up with this 'discussion' on a local forum.

http://www.essex-fishing.co.uk/index.php?n...asc&start=0

Some names you might find useful for info' on there.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John