Driving in France

terryk

bikenut:

You will soon get used to being on the other side of the road,  

Quite agree it is easy to drive on the right.

However beware after being there a couple of days and you are really relaxed such as leaving an hotel in the morning or a restuarant after lunch (and I don't mean as relaxed as a newt) it is easy to go into automatic pilot and pull out on to the left hand side. I have done this a few times, I now put a sticker on the steering wheel reading drive on the right and I also trained my family to chant the same message when getting into the car.

Otherwise have a great time.

Bonne route

Scapa :D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be carefull turning left. It is too easy to turn into your own (wrong!) side of the road.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest sslatter

You have to watch out for one thing: if you come to a T-junction, for example, which has unbroken white line(s) across it, take my advice and come to a dead stop. Don't trickle, stop dead, and then move off. Why? The french and spanish police are red-hot on this one, as I learned to my misfortune. They love nothing better than to park up hidden round the corner, and catch all the motorists who don't come to a dead halt at such a junction, and who "trickle". Watch out for it at certain roundabouts too. It's all to do with the unbroken white line(s).

Yep thats another one Graham. STOP in France means STOP. That gendarme hiding in the hedge is watching your wheelnuts and he wants to see them STOP. If you don't it will be a fine and maybe three or four points too.

Also read up on priorite a droite, (priority on the right) as there is nothing quite like it in our system.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote