Perch float rig

davedave

Evening all,

After a string of blanks i'm rethinking my perch fishing in preparation for the warmer weather. I've taken my focus off the leger rigs which I'm beginning to have less and less faith in, and going back to the humble float. I've been speaking to a guy on the pond who is a very good fisherman, and he's showed me his rig, it's very simple:

perchrig_zps9fd1f195.png

3lb main to an insert waggler attached at the bottom with either silicone tubing or float stops. Then two thirds of the way down the line the bulk of the shot, and then dead bottom is a BB shot and then a foot hooklength to a size 6 hook and probably a lobworm, although prawns and deads are also an option.

You obviously have to plumb it carefully, but from what i've seen from the guy on the pond, if you cast too far the float won't cock properly, and only when you wind in to where you plumbed it it then cocks itself and sits at the desired position. I've always been put off with float fishing because of the depth of water on the pond, but I think with this rig it should be quite simple, and as the rig is 'anchored' there is no need to keep casting in and out.

Does anybody have any feedback/suggestions/improvents on the rig? I'm hoping the bite detection should be spot on and much better than my leger rigs.

I'm hoping this year i'm going to break the 'two' barrier!

Thanks, Dave

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

At 8ft in depth plus another foot on the deck I'd be starting to think about a stop knot and a sliding float rather than fixing it in place with float stops. Would make it much easier to cast !

Mat

Mat

Thanks Mat, noted :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Davedave,

I ask others if this was widely used in the UK. Appearently not.

May I suggest above the shot (however far off the bottom or along the bottom) you wish to fish you use a VMC splitshot hook (i.e. a dropshot rig). It's easier to see the results of your plumbing.

Phone

davedave,

Somewhat like a paternoster.

Rigging is very simple. This rig calls for a Palomar knot tied directly to the a VMC Spin Shot hook, you would tie one end of the line to the one side of the the swivel and take a length of line, what would usually be the tag end, tie it to the bottom of the swivel and add your drop shot weight. The difference, if there is a difference, is that your float doesn't have to be fixed and the weight simply balanced to the flow or lack of flow.

Phone

Thanks phone

Dave, the float rig in your first post would be fine. Also, having the float fixed at 8ft shouldn't be a problem if you're using a 12-13ft rod.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks anderoo, so the rig is fine, but i'd be better with a longer rod, is that to aid casting or for another reason?

Thanks anderoo, so the rig is fine, but i'd be better with a longer rod, is that to aid casting or for another reason?

Just for ease of casting, and to have a bit of control if a big perch is heading for a snag under your feet!

You'll soon know if it's too unweildy having it set at that depth, if it is, change to a slider.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music