Which Center PIN ?

76jerry

The Sheffield IMO has to be the best value pin of all time, you cannot go far wrong with a Sheffield.

A lever at the back of the reel would be a major improvement and also a wide drum model would be more than useful to add to the range.

Their a very good reel bbamboo, but best value pin of all time?

Take a Sheffield reduce the front spoke plate to a lighter single bar, therefore reducing the spool weight. Put the handles in a better place/in a bit and for less money. Now that would be even better value wouldn't it?

OK you might need to give it another name. How about Aventa Pro VT1002? :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest bbamboo

If pedantic about the sheffield lutra I would remove all the bars and fit spokes make it a full 1inch spool, fit a lever at the back and remove the ratchet knob.And last reduce the length of the handles they are way too long IMO. Anyone else think of a few improvements?

Edited by bbamboo

The Okuma Sheffield is indeed an excellent reel and equal to anything in terms of its trotting abilities. My only problem with it was the heavy check and the difficulty in turning the check on and off. There is however a simple solution to this problem. The check operates on a rolling cam system but the check button can be difficult to roll with your finger. The reason for this is that the spring pressure is too much however the spring pressure can be adjusted by using a pair of long nosed pliers to alter the spring shape and fine tuning it so that it is easy to roll the check button with your finger whilst at the same time ensuring that the check works. Once the spring is adjusted the check button works very well except that it is in the wrong place being at the bottom of the reel and would have been much better if it had been moved so that it was on the horizontal centre line toward the reel. If you have long fingers you can just about operate the check without using your other hand but if you have short fingers you are buggered. The check system is actually very good once it is set up right. I am currently looking at haw it can be modified to bring the operating of the check mechanism closer to the finger which I think could easily be achieved by making a simple lever which clamps to the check button. I have several far more expensive centrepins but in truth the Sheffield in terms of use is as good if not better than the most and is fantastic value.

I personally use a Youngs Bob James for most of my fishing, not because it is any more free running, or lighter than the others, but for the positioning of the check lever. I can reach the check level and switch it on/off with the index finger of the same hand holding the rod, rather than fumbling behind the reel with my left hand while playing a fish!

Mat

Mat

Guest bbamboo

I personally use a Youngs Bob James for most of my fishing, not because it is any more free running, or lighter than the others, but for the positioning of the check lever. I can reach the check level and switch it on/off with the index finger of the same hand holding the rod, rather than fumbling behind the reel with my left hand while playing a fish!

Mat

Why do you want the check on when playing a fish ?

Guest 1lastcast

Why do you want the check on when playing a fish ?

If you got a good fish on, may as well flaunt it .

For interest, I have roughed out a lever to fit the check button to see how it works with the main issue found being that it takes a third of a turn between on and off as can be seen from the photos. Having said that and with with the reel on a rod, I can easily turn the check on and off with a finger so I will persevere with it and tidy it up. Not the prettiest but I know it will work for me. I also looked at changing and or moving the check mechanism completely but to do that would have meant more holes in the sideplate so to avoid possibly messing up the aesthetics of the reel and to prevent any damage at all I have attached the lever to the knurled button with two small grub screws.

post-8110-0-12935600-1362868758_thumb.jpgpost-8110-0-25911800-1362868774_thumb.jpg

Guest bbamboo

I am sure that will work fine and make the reel easier to operate the ratchet one handed. The lever mechanism design I much prefer is the speedia type were the lever is internally fitted. There is IMO much less protruding for the line to wrap around, just my thinking on what would make the Sheffield improved