Heroes? Who wants them?

spasor

The area of downtown Manhattan with all the concrete, tall buildings, and proximity to the water makes the winds impossible to predict. They often blow hard and from some really unusual directions.

Trying to jump with a chute would give about the same survival rate as jumping without unless you happened to be a real expert like the folks who make a living of jumping from planes into the area of forest fires and the like. And even they would stand only a small chance of surviving.

Add that to the fact that the two buildings saw more people during an average day than populate most small cities.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

The area of downtown Manhattan with all the concrete, tall buildings, and proximity to the water makes the winds impossible to predict. They often blow hard and from some really unusual directions.

Frankly, if a plane had just flown in to the building I was in casuing an inferno and I was somewhere above it, I wouldn't give a damn about all that. But the buidling doesn't hav to be on fire for such evacuation to be useful. I wasn't suggesting it for thrill seeking yuppies to use on a daily basis as a means of avoiding queuing for the elevators. (Apparently if you actually do know what you are doing you can jump from as little as 100 feet.)

quote:

Trying to jump with a chute would give about the same survival rate as jumping without.

I know you say 'almost' but still I can't help but doubt that a little. Anything at all more than zero is a lot more than almost zero. :)

quote:

Add that to the fact that the two buildings saw more people during an average day than populate most small cities.

Again wouldn't expect everyone to want to use one every day. And the towers aren't the only tall bulidings in the world. Surely more rather than less need of safety gear the more people there are in a building anyway.

Turns out though that unsurprisingly this is not original idea: Leonardo Da Vinci had it long before me.

http://www.aero.com/publications/parachute...9512/pc1295.htm

Simon Newbould:

it transpires that he is paid £7 per hour...

If he is only paid £7.00 an hour, how come a 40% rise will give him £30,000 pa?

Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

The biggest hero to my mind was the guide dog.

His blind owner sent him downstairs with the rest of the fleeing horde, but he fought his way back up and led his boss down 80 odd flights of stairs to safety.

Roy Rogers said it.

He's honest and faithful right up to the end

That wonderful One Two Three Four legged friend.

Jim Roper

maybe leos one works better if your naked? :) i still think your chances are better with a `chute ,certain death with no escape or certain death almost ,i`d jump ,maybe the shutes could be tethered ,i remember a thrill ride at biggin hill air show once the parachutes were fixed to a cable to stop them blowing away ,something can be made ,and if bucks are to be made ,they will :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Catcha?

There have been more safety standards found to have been broken since the collapse of the towers. Than have been put in place since?

OK bin my so called diatribes. That`s your right. As my home is only 3 storeys high, is not overlooked by anything else, and is subject to my own personal inspection? I feel quite safe.

If however, I went to work in a 1000 ft building that the maintenence people had flouted all the regulations, wasn`t even fully insured?

I think I would go somewhere else?

The tragedy is? All those souls in the `Towers` thought they were safe! Extra fireproofing was supposedly installed after the `basement bomb`?

It wasn`t. And all the walls came tumbling down?

Laugh that one off?

Spasor.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Jim Roper:

I see our firemen want £30,000 a year!

Does that mean they will give up their second jobs doing full-timers out of work?

I doubt it!

Jim Roper

Jim,

I am sure that if the Firefighters

get the 30,000 a year that they

deserve then they will give up their

part time jobs.

But why just pick on them Jim, loads

of other people have second jobs,Iam

out of workat the moment but I dont

begrudge them doing a second job.

If they were paid a decent wage, then

this would not happen,Try talking to

those who Claim dole and, DSS money as

well and work also.

david :o

david platt:

Jim,

I am sure that if the Firefighters

get the 30,000 a year that they

deserve then they will give up their

part time jobs.

I still doubt it!

quote:

But why just pick on them Jim, loads

of other people have second jobs,Iam

out of workat the moment but I dont

begrudge them doing a second job.

Because that appears to be the subject of the topic!

How much do you expect to earn if offered a job?

quote:

If they were paid a decent wage, then

this would not happen

I still doubt it!

Depends what you call a decent wage in your area.

I thought firecrew salaries were similar to police salaries. Perhaps they only want huge pay rises so that they can retire after about 18 months on a pension based on their final year's pay. Most police just can't wait to get out on pension at 50 or just over!

quote:

Try talking to

those who Claim dole and, DSS money as

well and work also.

david :o

I queued up for nearly 8 years, for National Insurance credit only, alongside people covered in paint or in muddy boots.

There are lots of people in work on which other peoples live depend on them doing the job properly. Electricians and plumbers for example.

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm