Foward thinking

Norfolkdipper

Phone

Thanks for the link, a good read & loads of hints.

Dales

It may seem an exessive mix but I hope to hit next season with a bang & really go for it. I am fed up with just doing a day here & a day there, not really getting know the waters. So next season it all changes.

Rudd

the 'spud idea' sounds good & would give a bed of bait to cast to. Thanks, I will try it.

Rob Ward

Thanks to you as well for the cat details. I will get one.

Access is by permission onto a farm, so very little fished. The most I have ever seen there is just 5 rods at the most.

Below are pics to show the water. qwell there was to be but it wont let me. tried jpg, img & img thumbnail. None allowed, so if you would like to see them please leave me your email in a msg.

Thanks to you all.

Mark

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

I am after any help in planning an opening weekend river fishing. I intend on fishing the yare again at Postwick, just east of Norwich. What I need advice on is the best way to pre-bait the swims. I intend on doing a session from, setting up on the 15th

You might want to check out your local byelaws...Groundbait is illegal during the close season on my waters!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Thats a pretty big river to make a dent in and as has been said an expensive mix. I wouldn't be shy of baiting heavily as it will all get swallowed up. If i were to go at this i'd be getting sacks of hemp, maize and parti mix and instead of trying to get the bait into the proven area you want to fish, bait heavily into an area that's easier to reach. The quantity would be as much as i could carry. I'd be looking at baiting every third day back from the 16th on at least four occasions.

...assuming it's legal!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Quote Norfolkdipper

"Dales

It may seem an exessive mix but I hope to hit next season with a bang & really go for it. I am fed up with just doing a day here & a day there, not really getting know the waters. So next season it all changes."

Hi Mark

It's not that I think the volumn is excessive just the cost. To be honest I don't have a clue whether that is a lot or a little bit of bait for a tidal river as fishing tidal waters is way outside my comfort zone. But when ever I consider using a lot of bait, cost becomes a major factor to me and so I try to bulk buy or cut my bait as much as possable with cheaper ingredients.

Anyway good luck with the fishing and let us know how you get on.

EDIT: Forgot to add, you are so right about getting to know a water well. It is often the key to success.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I donb't know the Yare - my feeling is that this will be fine to get a bit of bait in the area ahead of fishing, but if you're hoping to hold shoals of hungry bream, I don't think it will touch the sides! For that, volume rather than contents (within reason) is what matters.

If after roach and bream, a much cheaper alternative for the amount you'd need on a big, powerful river is mashed bread. In the winter when fishing for a single fish in each spot, I still get through up to 8 loaves in a half-day session. For pre-baiting in warmer weather for a bigger head of fish, it's probably down to how much you can carry. (On some stretches of the Thames in winter I've had shoal bream (up to 6lb) on flake fished over mash when chubbing after dark.)

If you live close enough, I'd also be more inclined to start the baiting several weeks before the start of the season with a higher volume, lower cost mix, rather than baiting a few days before the start with a lower volume, higher cost mix.

Best of luck though, I hope it goes well.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As I can drive right to the waters edge, only the suspension stops me overloading with bait. But unfortunately I live 25miles from the peg I want to fish. I live in the drier west of Norfolk & most waters this side, if not all, are private or annual / day ticket.. So I am limited to a hard fed long weekend there from the 15th to the 17th June. If volume is the answer, then I may consider getting a small row boat, electric motor & a roof rack.

There is a farm near here which sells wheat £7 or 8 / 25kg bags. So I may buy a few bags to cook up at home, with some sweetcorn & hemp, then transfer it in bait buckets. If I do 25kg wheat, 25 kg sweetcorn & 15kg hemp as a base mix, I can always add to it at the river. A mixture of :- maggots, casters, worms & particle mix can be added at the river & should do the job nicely, with the base materials being cheaper & bulkier.

I will have to see how things go nearer the time.

So will now look out for 'army size' cooking pots & a large gas (bottle) stove. Or as I live alone, cook them indoors.

Question, once cooked & in sealed buckets, how long can it last?

The idea of a boat really does interest me, ( but not the rowing in tidal waters), & it would give me precise location for the bait.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

I am after any help in planning an opening weekend river fishing. I intend on fishing the yare again at Postwick, just east of Norwich. What I need advice on is the best way to pre-bait the swims.

Pre -bait mix

Groundbait 2 bags

crumb 1 bag

maggots 1 pint

casters 1 pint

Chopped worms 1/2 pint

hemp 1 jar

Particle mix 2 tins

Sweetcorn 2 tins

Pellets 3 & 6 mm 1 bags each

Flaked tuna 2 tins

What would you add or change? Or is my mix ok?

I wouldn't be so extravagant. In my mind, pre-bait is merely to draw fish into a swim over a period, hopefully hold them there or at least perhaps instill a new area for the fish to visit at some point throughout the day.

I'd make it relatively simple but at least worthwhile for the fish to stay or come back at least. I think simple breadcrumb and cheap frozen corn (99p a kilo from supermarkets) would suffice. You could maybe add a little flavouring or use up some old casters or frozen maggots, if you have any but that's about all I'd use. I'd maybe liquidise some of the corn to help disperse the flavour.

I'd also go for quantity and if possible, a regular feeding regime. Feeding the fish with costly baits could prove expensive and it's something you'd be less likely to repeat with any regularity. I'd keep it cheap, go for volume and try to maintain a pattern that goes along with the time you intend to fish.

I'd keep the good stuff for the day you actually intend to fish.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The idea of a boat really does interest me, ( but not the rowing in tidal waters), & it would give me precise location for the bait.

I've got a small boat and while its my favourite investment its cost me a lot more than i anticipated. River license, insurance, roof rack, straps, elec outboard, battery, charger, petrol outboard, the boat itself and of course a life jacket. I think for the amount of use i've got out of it, its somewhere in the region of £20 a mile over 2 years :) It is great setting out in it though, can't stop grinning :)

most fish @ 40-50m distance so catapult is no good.

40-50m no bother with the right catapult, try the Fox Method Master or Drennan Whopper Dropper.

Mark put the boat on hold and go for Rob's idea of a decent catapult.

Or borrow Renrag and get him to row it out all out on his Yak :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek