Pollacking at Port Logan

Snatcher

It started out as a non fishing day for me. The plan was for the wife and I to drive to the end of the Mull to hopefully get a few photos of the peregrine falcons that nest there. I was just about to pull away from our caravan on the Clash site when John,another van owner asked me if I fancied a bit fishing in his boat !!!! I said no (brownie points) but Dorothy said "go on John,I really do not mind at all" - enough said.

Skipper John then said he would go down to the bottom of the site to ready the boat whilst I hurridly sorted out some boat gear. Dorothy in the meanwhile set off walking to the Drummore shop for a few bits and bobs.The crew for the day was John(skipper) John(Snatcher) and Johns grandaughter Erin,a 14 year old who was an old hand at this fishing lark.We were just pulling out of the Clash site to head for Port Logan as Dorothy was returning. I did notice that she had got me 4 cans of Magners,what a diamond I married.

Fish5-1.jpg

Fish6-1.jpg

We arrived at Logan at about 11.30 and there were quite a few trailers on the beach by this time. The launch went without a hitch and we headed north to one of Johns marks. Ian Burretts 4 boats were fishing in the area John had in mind so we started to drift a respectful distance from them,about 20/25 yds from the shore in about 40 feet of water. Mackerel for bait was the first priority and we found them at about midwater. It only took us a few minutes to get enough for bait and a few for the tea. I also managed to foul hook a launce as well.

Fish1-3.jpg

Pollack time!!! John headed a bit further north to one of his favourite marks. John and Erin set up with mackerel strip and I elected to spin with one of my Snatcher sandeel lures. Again we were no more than 25 yds out in 40 feet of water and down the baits/lures went. Within no more than two minutes I got a couple of gentle plucks and on keeping on with a steady retrieve the rod just slammed over. God what a powerful fish I had hooked and God how I had not checked my drag carefully!!! That fish snapped 15lb mono like cotton - boll******! "That was a good fish you lost there Snatcher" yes that really made me feel better. Oh well set the drag much lighter and cast out again.

fish2-3.jpg

John was first in with a tub guarnard and it was a fair size. After a few grunts it was slipped back. Erin was next in with a pollack of about 2lbs. It was duly unhooked and returned. I was next in with a fish of about 3 lbs. The fishing was fairly slow but we were still getting the odd pollack and they were averaging 2/3 lbs. The skipper then got his second tub and it really was a small fish. Time for a move the skipper said, " take us south of Logan Erin and put yer foot down" !!! Oh God,a woman at the wheel!!! Actually Erin knew the score and was even checking the GPS and depth sounder as we steamed south of Logan.

Fish3-4.jpg

Again the fishing was slow and the pollack were not too keen on our offerings. John and Erin were even catching mackerel on their mackerel strips.Well it was last drop time when Erin got the best fish of the day,a fine pollack of about 5 lbs.. Well done that young lady. Off we headed back to Logan beach for a faultless retrieval,just beating Ians boats in.

Fish4-2.jpg

I really had a great day out and some decent pollack had been caught and returned. Thanks to Erin and John for your good company and a real hoot on the briney.

This is your Mull of Galloway roving reporter,supping Magners in his van on the Clash site,typing this up on Wordpad on his laptop,signing off. Will post this up ASAP probably in Drummore Information Centre. Got a few photos to add on as well.

Snatcher

ps met up with Colin Mc from WSF this week and he actually should have been on this trip. I am sure he will come onto this thread and add his bit.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi John, Cracking report...AS USUAL mate..:):)

I've seen that boat often, good to know the owner is a good lad too :):) like yourself..;)

Hopefully will have a report of my own this coming week..:):)

Cheers mate.

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi John, Cracking report...AS USUAL mate..:):)

I've seen that boat often, good to know the owner is a good lad too :):) like yourself..;)

Hopefully will have a report of my own this coming week..:):)

Cheers mate.

Cheers Norrie and enjoy your Irish trip. Looking forward to your reports :) Still enjoying retirement Mate,check out this sunrise I took from inside the caravan this morning.

Roomwithaviewcomp.jpg

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Hello mate! I'm still gutted that I missed out on that boat trip! would have been the icing on my holiday cake!

How did the Guy who took Ill on Saturday morning get on? The Ambulance Whizzed past us at Stranraer.

I can't wait to get back down in August - maybe I'll get in amonst the Pollack this time? I'll do a mini report once I get my feet under the table at work!

Could you tell Chris I said Hullo?

speak soon.

:fish:

Tight lines everyone!

Hello mate! I'm still gutted that I missed out on that boat trip! would have been the icing on my holiday cake!

How did the Guy who took Ill on Saturday morning get on? The Ambulance Whizzed past us at Stranraer.

I can't wait to get back down in August - maybe I'll get in amonst the Pollack this time? I'll do a mini report once I get my feet under the table at work!

Could you tell Chris I said Hullo?

speak soon.

:fish:

Hiya Colin,he came around just fine I am pleased to say. Looking forward to our next meet in "Gods Country" :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

I'll hopefully get down again around the 24th of August for a day, maybe two.. - seems way too long to wait! :thumbs:

Tight lines everyone!

I'll hopefully get down again around the 24th of August for a day, maybe two.. - seems way too long to wait! :thumbs:

Colin I arrive back on the 24th for a 3 week stint,hope to see you then. In the meanwhile here are a couple of shots to jog your memory

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Great stuff! I can't wait to get back down.

I was meant to go fishing yesterday at Greenock, but my brother pulled out, leaving me in the myre! went for a round of golf instead! - some Angler me, eh? :lol:

Tight lines everyone!