Line bite readings?

Dave H

When bream fishing I have had some real screamers with the bobbin smashing into the rod and the baitrunner going for a second or two.

Have come to the conclusion these are biggish bream covered in tubercles the line snags on the rough skin, the fish spooks and the line goes with it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Your method of fishing has a considerable influance. When freelining, as I most always do, if my line moves I put a Texas Whip Hookset on it. Then rebait and recast. I don't leave a bait out over 45 minutes anyway.

Phone

How many of us strike before line is taken off the reel .

Line bite whatever it is means nothing to me as i do nothing until that line moves off the reel no matter how much it bleeps slack line or tight.

Although i have a few times but only a few in 30+ years

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

All the time. A lot of times the reel isn't even set up to give line.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Line bite whatever it is means nothing to me as i do nothing until that line moves off the reel no matter how much it bleeps slack line or tight.

Most the time I strike before a fish takes line. When carp fishing it will sometimes take a bit of line but only as the bobbin is close to the rod and carp bites are typically quite violent and it can take a second or two to get to the rod anyway. When perch fishing I fish with a long drop with my banksticks up as high as they will go and although I put my clutch on very light just in case I don't get there in time I always strike at about halfway up as if the perch takes line it will feel the change in resistance and nearly always drop it.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

DaveH

I think the answer to your question does not exist.

Reading line bites is similar to reading bites in general.

It all depends on what you are fishing for and when. What the conditions are. What the weather is like. How the fish are feeding. Where and what depth they are feeding at. What bait you are catching them on.

There is not a single answer and if you do spend time proving a theory and deciding for a few weeks it is right I can gaurantee you that all of a sudden every thing will change and your theory is blown out.

I am often asked can I help juniors or write bits for various publications or just help other anglers in general and I am very willing to encourage others but I don't feel qualified to do so. I am told thats silly as I am a "good angler".

What makes me good is I am instinctive and work off of feelings and knowledge I could not write about. I could not instruct others in what I do because it is an instinct I have developed. I make decisions I could not analise afterwards that work time and time again.

I think this is true of line bites or not.

At least with self hooking rigs you don't have to worry as you can just sit back and decide how many turns of the baitrunner you allow before believing its a real hooked fish.

John

Not sure I knew what a bolt rig was 30+ years ago Dave. It was all swingtips, quivertips and floats back then for me, so no line coming off the reel on the take. Well not unless I'd gone for a pee.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

All the time. A lot of times the reel isn't even set up to give line.

So how do you do this andrew i am intrigued as no baitrunner or even clutch or open bail arm. Or am i missing something here. I need enlightning on this :)

I can only assume you sit with your rods 24/7 on a session and even then i find it confusing.

I am always willing to learn :)

Edited by Dave H

DaveH

I think the answer to your question does not exist.

Reading line bites is similar to reading bites in general.

It all depends on what you are fishing for and when. What the conditions are. What the weather is like. How the fish are feeding. Where and what depth they are feeding at. What bait you are catching them on.

There is not a single answer and if you do spend time proving a theory and deciding for a few weeks it is right I can gaurantee you that all of a sudden every thing will change and your theory is blown out.

I am often asked can I help juniors or write bits for various publications or just help other anglers in general and I am very willing to encourage others but I don't feel qualified to do so. I am told thats silly as I am a "good angler".

What makes me good is I am instinctive and work off of feelings and knowledge I could not write about. I could not instruct others in what I do because it is an instinct I have developed. I make decisions I could not analise afterwards that work time and time again.

I think this is true of line bites or not.

At least with self hooking rigs you don't have to worry as you can just sit back and decide how many turns of the baitrunner you allow before believing its a real hooked fish.

John

Yes John that's right . I think somebody who fish's rivers quite a bit knows more of that than most. Gone are the days i just watch the thing i just wait until i get a run. Even Zander fishing which i think give huge line bites i still wait . It's just that. I too see anglers for example using heavy weights to hold the line when the line flows through it but i have had more success with light weights over the years. I think this might be because i think in silt which i did most of my fishing over a heavy weight buries itself to much and creates the line to give an unstable resistance. A light weight stays on top of the silt . many will and i know disagree but i have been fishing over 30 years and it works better for me. In fishing i think its very much a expression of 'there are more than one way to skin a cat' that's why i like fishing in many ways you might here 99 views you know but 1 might come along that you think 'I like that'...Horses for courses . :)

If I'm session fishing for tench/bream/carp I'll generally be fishing with the baitrunners on, just in case. But that's a small part of my fishing. I didn't realise you specifically meant session fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music