landowners wanted

chesters1

just had a happy day after months (18)of playing with my broken metal detector i have finally repaired it (digital electronics not my forte ) but in the interval between breaking it and now, the land owner who`s land i used to detect on has died (old next door neighbour )and my son has upset the other one :mad: by getting drunk with his son and borrowing the family car (my son was the passenger) and parking it "through" the back of the garage (luckily a wooden one) :D so best to let them cool down for a while :)

are there any land owners in the hants/ surrey area that would let me play in their fields ( must be landowners not tenants for legal reasons) the usual 50/50 pact applies and i dont leave gates open nor holes big enough to notice :) .

i am not the chesters you see here but a realy nice chap and i even wash :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Used to play with a metal detector - found stacks of musket balls (in Essex), a few coins (none of them worth much) and an unexploded mortar bomb on Ashdown Forest.

Rang the police re the bomb

"Shall I bring it in to the police station?" I asked

"B... h.. NO!! We'll send a policeman out"

So I wait for Mr Plod - show him the bomb which I had (VERY) carefully unearthed.

Can you believe it, the first thing he did was KICK it !!!

He then picked my trowel....

At that point I realised he was going to hit the bomb, and thought it would be prudent to stand behind a large pine tree while he did so.

He did hit it, several times. Clunk, clunk, clunk. (I thought never mind if it blows up, its an old trowel anyway and I can probably afford a new one )

After failing to produce an explosion , he chucked the bomb in the back of the police car and drove off. Obviously a dud (do I mean the bomb or the plod ? - You choose)

[ 26. October 2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

A friend and I were metal detecting in a wood adjacent to an airfield and started to unearth what would appear to be large (and rotton) wooden creates/boxes, obviously full of metal objects.

Before we could properly open one up we heard a dog bark on the other side of the wood and we did a runner. (Oh, I forgot to mention, we didn't exactly have permission to be there!)

Later that week the local paper reported the finding of over a hundred hand granade cases and fuses near a disused range.

i worked on the basinstoke canal when it was being restored ,the canal on the aldershot end was sealed so it could be drained ,and it was my job to make sure the pumps intakes were kept clear and they were fueled ,over the days as the water dropped the usual shopping trolleys ,push bikes and a fair few stolen motor bikes apeared ,having the excuse to get muddy and paid i took great care to patrol the banks looking for goodies ,in my patrol i noticed a large cylindrical object appear ,at the end of the next day it was obviuos to me it was a bomb so the army bomb disposal was called in ,they cleared the area and defused it and steamed the contents out ,when it was examined it was found to be a british one that had probably "dropped off" a plane ,as the canal drained the bomb disposal was called so much they started work when i did ,literally thousands of rounds and probably a hundred guns were found ,the bullets were disposed of and the guns were lined up and the hymacs trundled over them they now ly in several feet of dried mud on the banks :D , it apears most of the rifles were dumpt at the end of the wwi , i had a good collection of recovered goodies from the canal ,all went in the skip when we moved :(:)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

are there any land owners in the hants/ surrey area that would let me play in their fields ( must be landowners not tenants for legal reasons) the usual 50/50 pact applies and i dont leave gates open nor holes big enough to notice   :)   .

i am not the chesters you see here but a realy nice chap and i even wash   :)

Sorry! I'm too far away.

You'll have to turn into a nighthawk. I don't think I could resist being one, if ever I got one of those machines.

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.co.uk/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

too old and fat to be a nighthawk jim ,i expect you need a good burst of speed to outrun irate farmers :D

i have detected at night though ,if you want to go in weekdays in the winter after work theres no option ,one amusing incident was i was on a large field that was going to be resown in the next couple of days (hence the night activity) when detecting the only sence you can use is sight (your listening through headphones )whilst trying to find a elusive metal signal in a hole i saw with the corner of my eye a large white thing hurtling towards me ,the mind went into a fight or flight act thinking it was a vicious attack sheep or a nasty ghost and i lept backwards only to see a large carrier bag fly past ,my heart was still thumping 10 minuits later :D

your not too far away jim ,hants/ surrey would be ok for "everyday" visits ,further away would have to be occasional visits (i have to save for the petrol) :(:)

Lots of people take their detectors to the seaward side of Chesil Beach when the wind has been easterly for a time and all the shingle has been thrown up, uncovering the clay, but I have always thought that most of the goodies are to be found on the landward side.

The amount of wrecks that occurred and the thieving from them that took place must mean that stuff was hidden and forgotten about of lost.

There is also all the stuff that fell overboard while crossing the Fleet only to sink in the soft mud and be lost.

During WW2 the Fleet was the site of a large decoy of lights on poles to make Gerry think it was Portland so there must be tons of unexploded munitions down in the mud.

On the subject of darkness. In the days before street lights, my father was making his way down a pitch black lane towards Fleet to try to shoot a duck, when he came across a local threatening to shoot what he thought was a ghost in the middle of the lane. This white shape turned out to be the face of a donkey that belonged to the local school missus.

I've only got a 25 acre cabbage patch nowadays but there is an old hillfort(iron age I think), hence the name Coldharbour, just over the hedge.

Allways worth looking around where the old hayricks used to be, I would think.

Plenty of room to park up a camper alongside my ponds so bring your rods. Everything FOC but careful where you empty the bucket.

Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

sold the camper to buy furniture etc ,i miss the freedom of it though :( had a power cut (again ) all day so watching telly on a portable 5" b&w running on my spare mc battery ,kylie not so sexy compared to our 32" widescreen :(:D

just trying to get batteries for the beast ,now that pp6 are off the shelf i will have to use nimh AA`s so have been browsing for prices ,the difference is staggering trade prices at my two fave sites are actually more expensive than argos for the same capacity cells

a few sites with catchy web site names promising to be the cheapest are actually 4 times the price of argos .

seeing as i need 12 AA`s to match the 2xpp6 (near enough) price is important best so far is £13 for 8 1800ma compared with argos 4x1700ma for £12 ,the search goes on :) why doesnt someone make pp6 sized 9v nimh batteries

Chesters,

Why don't you get a rechargeable 12v sealed battery (small) and connect it by wires?

Easy peasy.

Tho' probably a wind-up metal detector would save you a forune :)

btw, bet allotments are good pickings

Liam