pole poundage

frodo_uk

A follow on really from my "which Whip" thread.

I am now the proud owner of a fox conspiracy pole.

I have two end sections fitted with no.8 and no.12 elastics, but what line is suitable for each elastic and upto what size fish do you think it would be suited for? I shall alter the elastics to suit what I am doing but I need a guide first of what is best. thx in advance.

fat, stupid hobbit.

I have No.10 and No.14 elastics and I have never used more than 6lb ultra fine line, and have caught Carp to 19lb on it!

[ 27. July 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Often asked question this.If you look on the back of most packets of pole elastic it will give reccomended elastic size to hook length BS ratios.Simply choose the line BS to expected fish size/species as you would normally then match the elastic acordingly.Not very technical but the easiest way I know!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

northern . . I would suggest you divide the elastic by 3 to get the poundge . .

no12 around 4lb ..

I would not go to 5lb line before a 14-16 elastic . . one day you may hook something large . . and find there is a new week link in the chain . . your pole or a joint . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi caa and welcome. Can't offer any pole help but Go Packers. :D

Spent a couple of years up your way back when the Coast Guard had an icebreaker home ported there.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt. I must admit, I am not much of a football fan, but it was nice when the Pack had thier run with glory back in the 90's.

I hope you found our little city pleasant. I love the fact that I live on the Great Lakes. They are truly awesome.

I plan on using the pole to fish in the harbor for perch and smallies and whatever else, as well as targeting carp in the Milwaukee River.

Cheers,

Chris.

caa I am brand new to pole fishing so unfortunately I have no previous to compare with , however in my opinion its a decent pole for the money and I am pleased with it, esp as you get all the extras with it i.e. cups (in varying sizes), four sizes of elastic, estication kit and two tips. will take upto an eighteen elastic too. and having researched thoughly before parting with my money I don't think you'll go far wrong with the conpiracy.

that said, I did have to send mine back to fox becuase of a cracked butt section, but i'm sure that thats not the norm and i did arrive back within five working days.

fat, stupid hobbit.