Norfolk Broads

lutra

Having a family holiday cruising the broads this summer. I wasn't thinking of taking loads of gear, may be just a float rod or is that just silly and would I be missing out on a lot?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

For roach and skimmers off the back of the boat you can have some very enjoyable sessions trotting the flow.

If you fancy after dark then a feeder rod or 2 would get you some good bream catches.

If you want a 100lb bag of bream you might need to get serious but I often just go set up to enjoy an easy fun session and the stick float or waggler can be real good fun.

Trouble with getting serious is it takes over your holiday just go and enjoy the simple pleasures of roach fishing on the float. There are some big ones in there. Let us know when and where you are going nearer the time and I will update you with prospects.

I would take a longish float rod by choice. 15ft or more as parts can be deep. Off the boat length will not be a problem. I have trotted and really enjoyed fishing the thurne with a 20ft rod and writing this makes me want to try it again this year having had a few years break from broads fishing although I always keep up to date with how its fishing

John

Edited by John Weddup
  • Like 1

Having a family holiday cruising the broads this summer. I wasn't thinking of taking loads of gear, may be just a float rod or is that just silly and would I be missing out on a lot?

Think that sums it up mate! "Family holiday" not "Fishing trip".

Glyn,Kim (two other baillifs from Wingham) and myself go for two weeks every autumn on a kind of "busmans holiday" This for us is a very laid back "holiday" as opposed to a "fishing trip" However being life long anglers it would be impossible for us not to take the gear! We dont fish every day and very rarely "all day" its more a case of having the gear set up and just grabbing it when the mood takes! We do move acording to the fishing (ie if its pants we try else where) but in general just casual.

A float rod set up to trot from the boat and a quiver rod are about all they take.I put in the Pike gear but its all there to share.

Definately take a float rod else it would drive you mad not having the chance to fish but certainly dont take the lot and treat it as a serious fishing trip else you will find that frustrating as well if the family are not so keen anglers as yourself!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I went with the in laws for a day and just took a little telescopic rod with 4lb line and you can buy maggots out the vending machines all round the broads and just sat catching roach of the back of the boat for a hour if your moored up theres no reason after feeding a swim long enough that u can't hit into some bream and skimmers

tight lines

Bait wise maggots will get you lots of fish but if keeping bait is a problem, and it would be in summer, then sweetcorn is a better option or bread.

The bigger roach as elsewhere love sweetcorn. Just ordinary tins.

For a family holiday sweetcorn in tins is more family friendly.

John

As we go later in the year keeping maggots isnt as hard. These with grounbait feeder tactics or just loose feed when trotting work fine.Noticed some nice Roach and Perch apearing. Not had the bags of bigger bream the Broads used to be famous for in the past few years but anywhere along the St Bennets Abbey stretch is childs play for a net of skimmers.

Just a lovely place to be.Shame everyone else thinks so as well!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

"Maggots out the vending machines", that's a new one on me.

Thanks for the replies. Never having been to Norfolk all help is welcome.

Will be having a sun sea and sand with no fishing rods family holiday so don't think the odd none fishing member will mind a bit of fishing on this trip.

Even if its not a great place for big fish, putting my feet up on the back of the boat with a glass in one hand and a fishing rod in the other sounds like it should be fun.

Cheers

Brian.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

"Maggots out the vending machines", that's a new one on me.

Thanks for the replies. Never having been to Norfolk all help is welcome.

Will be having a sun sea and sand with no fishing rods family holiday so don't think the odd none fishing member will mind a bit of fishing on this trip.

Even if its not a great place for big fish, putting my feet up on the back of the boat with a glass in one hand and a fishing rod in the other sounds like it should be fun.

Cheers

Brian.

Brian it sounds ideal

Often anglers get swept away with catching bigger and bigger fish and forget its about a lot more than that.

Enjoy

John

One thing to keep in mind when mooring is that the Broads are tidal.

Make sure you leave plenty of mooring line slack or disaster can strike.

When I went we also hired a small dingy to fish from and used it as a taxi when we could not moor near to some popular spots.

We took float rods and a whip for the girls to use.

Wagglers and sticks both worked with maggots as bait.

Dont forget a long handled landing net!

Also stick to speed limits as there are speed camera boats in operation- no lie. Also saw an ice cream boat I kid you not.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

dont forget the humble bread a decent bit of flake or crust popped just off the bottom will get you some cracking roach not to mention skimmers and bream.In the daytime dont fish too far out if you are on the rivers you will avoid the boat traffic interfering with your line and there are some big perch close in so take some big lobworms.

Use good size baits on a 12 or 10 hook and you will get the better fish and have time to drink your beer inbetween bites !

Have a good one

ps boiled wheat is a good feed and hookbait especially sweetened up

Neil