Agencies join to halt elver crime

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The N,A,C and E,C,S welcome this work by the joint involvement of the E,A and police forces.

This has been the kind of action we N,A,C and E,S G have been lobbying the E,A to take on the subject of illegal netting of elvers and eels within the U,k for 9 years collectively,also as individual groups for years before that.

I would like to also add that the insufficient byelaws governing the eel and elver fisheries and under funding of the E,A are the real problems which concern the E,C,S. The process of changing out of date byelaws and introducing new ones to stop the decline in eel and elver are bogged down with red tape.

Although we welcome any intervention by the E,A and other agency bodies to tackle the problems highlighted in the article we would like to add that more needs to be done and more direct and effective byelaws need to be introduced.

The problems facing the eel and elver will not go away over night.

One major improvement to the way the eel and elver netting industry is regulated would be the use of a registered dealership in the export of eel and elver, as there is no control of the export of the species. We believe this would lead to a better understanding of the effects on the eel by the fisheries industry. This was a suggestion made by the E,C,S to the M,A,F,F review which took place some time ago. It was agreed upon by the agencies but no progress seems to be being made on the subject.

One thing that we all as anglers can do is to keep our eyes and ears open for the activity of nets men.

If any netting is seen report it to the E,A.

If the netting is legal then ok.

But we need to be aware that alot of illegal netting is going on.

let the E.A decide whats legal and what is not.

Tony B.T Jolley

• 2 weeks later...

here in spain the numbers of licences have increased for elver fishermen. and this has lead to a massive decrease in numbers. where as 20years ago anybody could walk down to the river light up the area and sweep with large fine nets a kil0 or two for tommorows dinner now they have mabye one or two elvers in there nets and they still insist on fishing for them. oh for the lack of education they induce there own sorrows. the time has come with decreasing numbers to put a halt or decrease the numbers to control areas better to protect the elvers, eels. before this is to late. just one more thing doesnt the increase in licence fees go towards the oh so pulicated facts that extra policing will control the rivers and lake so much beter. once again folks we see they are not policing the waters on those long cold nights. sure you will see balifs on a wram sunny day strolling along pen and paper in hand. ready to give you a ticket.. maybe we should look at employong the army lads for training to cover the areas in discussion be it for elvers of carp lakes, make use of what the tax payers are paying for in your country. simple and effective to some degree. unless you disagree. pleasee let me know.

[ 26. March 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: gaza ]

fishing guide for catfish and carp

well mate i aint no scientist on working things out well apart from catfishing sea fishing carp and so on but surely this must be put to the goverment after all they are always looking for some god reasons to say look what we have done for the country might be a good idea to get this down on paper chaps and post it off after all think of the taxes if you mention this they will pop there little ears up as fast as yu can say erm....or even see if the local army cadets want some night training ask them mate you never know. i am sure the water authroitys would be in favour of this may take some of the strain of them and it would work for fish poachers and many other things. maybe the loacl farmers could have some say in this matter gather the eveidence

I can see your point Gaza, We have been at the Environment agency and the DEFRA (formally MAFF) for the last 9 years as a joint group but they are so slow to actually do any foot work its frustrating, we have gathererd tons of paper work, thats the problem the governing bodies hide behind red tape and let it hinder their progress,

The ea have been trying to sort the "Eel net licencing duties" out for a few YEARS now.

It doesn`t take them that long to put our rod licence fees up does it?.

Its a disgrace the way the E,A treat anglers compared to commercial nets men,

We pay over £20 pounds for a rod licence and a nets man can pay as little as £5 to actually make money from the devistation of a species.

Its a **** poor situation and thats why the E,C,S was formed.

Its about time anglers stood up and were counted on this subject. But I know most anglers can`t be bothererd.

Look at the amount of comments to this thread?.

POOR.

Tony B.T Jolley

i know mate it is a shame as some anglers dont see the affects of the whole picture most genral people dont seem to know the whole affects it is one long constant knock on affect.for the elvers. there will be a time when there are none or hardly any elvers.

cheers

gary

I am very worried here Gary as I find myself in total agreement with you

Your sugestion of using the Army's training/equipment/resources to aid in the protection from illegal fishing/poaching is superb.As an ex squaddie I am sure they would see the chance to set up surveillance and patrolling operations on vunerable areas as a great training oportunity.The military have always been very keen on what they refer to as MACC Tasks (Military Aid to the Civil Community).Then again I suppose the logistics of some one at the EA picking up a phone and talking to the MoD might prove to much :mad:

Bloody good idea though Gaz,inspired by the Guardia Civil maybe?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!