Hair Rigs

Quest

Quest - Kryston have a few in their range, Snakeskin and Mantis are two that i've tried and liked. The one that i've been using lately and been very impressed with is Stealth Skin which is sold by Sufix.

GlennB - An idea behind thehair rig is for the hook to be un-masked to aid hooking. A carp sucks the bait up and will try to expell it if it feels something is not quite right. By having a bare hook able to move freely increases the chances of getting a hookhold.

Not sure if that's a great explanation, you can tell I don't write for a living. :D

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

For many years I tied my hairs out of thin (2lb) mono. I did use a lot of particles then. Dont think it gave me much of an advantage and the times the hair would break on weed or if casting ultra long distance was a pain.As most of my proper carping these days is for real big carp I use the simple knotless knot which uses the same material for the hair as the hook link (which Im sure you all ready know) If I use a "D" rig or "Looney Rota Extension" rig or any other rig for that mater that requires the bait to be tied to a ring I use either dental floss (un waxed) or some of the old Kryston multi strand (the origonal 70lb version that you had to split yourself) Both of these are a multi stand material what opens up flat and grips the bait when tied around it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I always thought that most of the research done initially (cannot remember names, but didn't some guys use their wifes hair when developing the hair rig), actually proved that the hair material or weight was fairly insignificant when compared to the actual presentation i.e on the back of the hook with the hook pointing down.

In which case I'd go with budgie and use the knotless knot and the same braid straight through. Very fast to tie, and very reliable. I'll reiterate my earlier point though, that the hook therefore becomes one of the keys (no point using a good braid with a blunt or weak hook).

Ian W