floating line for cntrepin reel

Randy

Randy, I am curious having not used the Ashima, or Siglon lines, how are they in the memory department? Do you get as much line twist after a day's casting like you would with other monofilaments? I use Ande’s monofilaments fishing line. As far as a floating line goes I mostly steelhead fish in cold weather so to prevent ice forming on my line and guides I try to keep my line off the water above the float.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew - you might buy some of the glop the sell the fluff chuckers to dress floating fly lines to keep them clean and floating. A little dab on the guides seems to do a great job of reducing ice formation on the guides and I think the line has less problems with it too.

Certainly cheap enough and harmless to try.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Andrew,

I really haven't had a problem with the memory of the line. When it comes to line twist I hardly ever cast off the side of the reel These days I've been using the wallis cast and it's many variations in order to get rid of that nasty line twist. There is a way to cast a pin like a baitcasting reel which a some call the BC cast. Hope this helps. :cool:

Randy

http://www.questoutdoors.net

Randy, I cast the variation of the Wallis cast you that’s shown in centre-pin 101 DVD, have been doing it since before that video came out, still there is a lot less twist than casting off the side, but some lines still tend to twist more than others. How do those two lines you mentioned compare with regular mono. Raven also came out with a float fishing line but I have not tried it yet. :)

I really havent noticed a difference. I guess I really never gave it any thought. Basicly I bought the line for it's floating properties. Ande is my line of choice but I was looking for a line that didn't require line floatant. I guess you could call me lazy but I didn't want to go through all of that trouble. And besides the high vis properties of the line make it easier to track the drift when I'm making one of those long drifts.

I'll give you my take on Ashima and Siglon. First off Ashima is clear and it's resin imoregnated just like the Siglon. I haven't noticed any tendancies for the line to twist. I have experenced some twisting bucause I don't use those small micro swivels that are so common among pinners in the States. This is one reason my line twists form time to time. I'm able to mend line during the drift with out the float drifting off course. The line is pretty strong and the diameters are much thinner than mono such as Trilene of the same pound test.

Siglon F is another resin impregnated line that doesn't absorb water and this property is the main reason it floats. Again the line is thinner than mono of the same pound test. I really haven't noticed a high tendancy for the line to twist when casting off the drum vs side casting. One good thing about the line is it's easy to see (if the eyes are starting to go) and line pick up is a breeze at a long distance.

If anyone is cringing because of the color fear not! You can use clear line under the float and the fish shouldn't notice the line above the float since it's being somewhat held off the water.

Well, Andrew, I hope I've answered your question about the two lines. I gave you what I thought about them and hope I've given you sound advise.

Cheers,

Randy

http://www.questoutdoors.net

Having now tried braid for trotting I can say it lived up to my expectations.Excellent pick up,no problems with it sinking and direct contact at all times.

Had it wrap around the tip a couple of times when casting that bit further but can live with that.

Obviously one days trial isnt enough to be 100% but I would certainly reccomend people trying it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!