Jamboree bags.

KBONE

I got half a crown a week pocket money, there were 2 picture halls in Kilsyth at the time, the Pavillion (flea pit) cost 6d for a Saturday matinee, the Kings was 9d, lot nicer inside. We used to get Gundy Hammers which were white toffee hammer shape things made by Mrs Gundy in her Sweet shop next door to the Kings picture hall. I think they were 3d each. And, Bazooka Joe bubble gum with the wee advert wrapped round them, and Midget Gems, I still love them.

:D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we lived in a road with a sweet shop at the end of it but the owner had a shock of extremly white hair (napier road bromley if poledark is reading) he frightened the heck out of me so we went to another one further away

army and navy sweets with a strange name which eludes me at the mo.(it describes the actuall sweet shape)

i remember the tobacco :) it was usually called gold or it was camel related.

pontifract cakes

when i lived in edinburgh you could by a "bag of buns" for 3d it was the left over cakes from the day before ,nothing like it in england.

to pay for them we used to scour the country side for bottles and get the deposit back :):) a thing that should be reintroduced nowadays

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As I recall Spangles were re-introduced a few years back by Woolies but they never seemed to re-capture the kids imagination or the adults for that matter.. they simply didn't taste the same.

Jubblies also had a short re-run in the 80's,

I can still buy cinder toffee at a local newsagents.

What about MO-JO's and the original smiths crisps with the little blue twist of salt in the bottom.

Lucky Bags, fruit salad, shoelaces made of liquorice black and red, fruit gums, dolly mixtures and parma violets, traffic light lollies that had red green and yellow in them, rhubarb and custard sweets, liquorice torpedoes and proper jelly babies not the c**p they pass off nowadays.

Happy days! :) you could fill your pockets with a half a crowns worth. (12 1/2 (new)pence to you young'uns) :D

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Sports Mixtures, lovely, you can still get them today tho' the original Lyons Make are (as far as I know ) only stocked by BP garages. Chesters, re the ginger bottles, or Gless Cheques, all the guys at work collect them (mainly Irn Bru) and divide them between a night out and our local hospice, and believe me it all adds up to quite a few bob in a year.

Cheers

Norrie :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

remenber when "hovis" tasted like brown bread (it WAS brown bread) no dought stuffed with undisirable ingrediants but it had a specific flavour :( i remember standing outside the local bakers as a kid with the girl next door (soon to be my first girlfriend ) looking at the mini hovis loaves and talking about them ( money was tight for our parents) a kindly total stranger bought us one each and never interfeared with us once we talked about it for days (oh happy days) :(

nowadays even wrights coal tar soap is only "coal tar" essenced :(

carbolic soap is long gone ( i can still smell it from my junior school)

is life getting better :confused: i dont know :( it seems that something is missing , its certainly not the "good old days" they were hard but never having anything didnt seem to matter ,just visiting granny who had 2 DIFFERENT flavoured lemonades was a joy to look forward to :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest sslatter
snotty:

traffic light lollies that had red green and yellow in them...

Weren't they called "Zoom"? And shaped like Thunderbird 3? Or was it Fireball XL5?

they were ice lollies ,the traffic lollies were hard sugar lollies a ball on a stick.

i noticed the barrs lemonade etc still have a deposit on them on a visit to scotland ,unfortunatly the contents are only a shadow of what they used to taste like .......and the bottles a darn sight smaller as well :(

me and my sister used to collect them on the stretch of beach at seaton sands (edinburgh) and cash them in at the "halfway house" then a shop now a private house :( it certainly kept us out of trouble hunting those elusive 2d deposit bottles :)

there was also camp coffee it was (unlike today) coffee with chickory ,today its the other way round

whilst on scotland my granny used to buy as a treat tinned chicken , it was a whole chicken (yep whole with bones etc) in a tin ,mmmmm

[ 04. February 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

• 6 years later...
Guest Rabbit
As I recall Spangles were re-introduced a few years back by Woolies but they never seemed to re-capture the kids imagination or the adults for that matter.. they simply didn't taste the same.

Jubblies also had a short re-run in the 80's,

I can still buy cinder toffee at a local newsagents.

What about MO-JO's and the original smiths crisps with the little blue twist of salt in the bottom.

Lucky Bags, fruit salad, shoelaces made of liquorice black and red, fruit gums, dolly mixtures and parma violets, traffic light lollies that had red green and yellow in them, rhubarb and custard sweets, liquorice torpedoes and proper jelly babies not the c**p they pass off nowadays.

Happy days! :) you could fill your pockets with a half a crowns worth. (12 1/2 (new)pence to you young'uns) :D

Been done before on here :o

Smiths Crisps were made in Bristol next to the school I attended,( every so often.) It was a treat to have a packet of Smiths Crisps with a pint for mum and dad, and me with lemonade on the way back from Weston- S- Mare

Can you imagine life with just one flavour of crisp?