Cannibal fish attack Scotland!

Leon Roskilly

Ken L:

Yep, everything about the description sounded like an American Bullhead to me as well - apart from the bit about them comming from southern England, but the Scot's 'll try to blame us for anything.

What...all of us? :mad: Try reading my post again. I explained how we've had Millers Thumb for 20+ years, in my experience and even longer on others, therefore explaining to the site that the English were unlkely to have created this problem.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Ah - aka Miller's Thumb so one of the sculpins rather than a catfish. Thanks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

are they not also known as stone loach?

We have had them out of our river and if anything the trout are doing better than ever. Never had one 18cm long though!

Ah well another example of how our game fishing gurus are experts in water ecology. gotta love it up here in scotland :rolleyes:

Im sure if they had their way there would be nothing in our rivers apart from trout salmon and water.

winky:

are they not also known as stone loach?

No

Bullhead

Stone Loach

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=6377

Used to catch both of them from the river Lea, by hand, when I was a kid. :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Dear Leon,

My understanding is that cottus gobio are commonly known as Millers Thumb. And that species Bullhead both black and brown are classified as ictalurus melas or ictalurus nebulosus.

Millers Thumb will indeed gorge on salmon and trout eggs in the autumn. So will almost every other species. Like all fish, Millers Thumb are opportunistic feeders feeding mostly at night. Early in the year Millers Thumb will target mayfly and stonefly nymphs, caddis and midge larvae. Any spring explosion of "Gammarus" (freshwater shrimp) will also be vigorously targeted by Millers Thumb. In short, this species behaves much akin to most other freshwater species.

Some more interesting information concerning Millers Thumb;

Average growth; 1 year 4-5 cm. 2 years 6-8 cm. Mature at three years growing to an average length of 8-10 cm. However, there are reports of some fish reaching 16 cm is sub arctic waters.

Fish also known as "Sculpin".

Large predatory trout feed at night so it’s no surprise then to learn that Millers Thumb forms the mainstay of the wild trout's diet. Other species that predate on Millers Thumb are grey herons, kingfishers, goosanders, otters and feral American mink.

From 1962-1965, one pair of tawny owls nesting close to a river, fed their young entirely on this fish species and raised 19 chicks!!

Doesn't seem to be a long future in store for this explosion of Millers Thumb up in Scotland??

Brown or Black Bullheads (ictalurus melas,ictalurus nebulosus) are an entirely different story however being much larger at around 30-35 cm. This North American introduction does carry concerns amongst some fishery scientists as they predate on other bottom dwelling native fish eating their eggs and young. To my knowledge though, they are not common in Scottish rivers being more widespread in France, Slovenia and Latvia.

Regards,

Lee.

[ 23. March 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: trent.barbeler ]

So sorry, I forgot that tongue in cheek comments now seen as an attack on this forum.

If anyone fancies a return go, I'm an overweight, balding athiest of Irish decent. I also don't much like carp or the methods employed to catch them (whether these are actually being applied to carp or any other species) but strangely enough, most carp angers are an OK bunch away from the water.

That covers most of the recent topics that have had people so upset that they've left the forum or threatened to do so.

Feel free.

I promis not to get my arse in my hand over it but I can't promis not to take the p1ss back.....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

as a god loving, athletically superb, folically sorted english bloke who loves carp and waiting for days watching TV to catch one.....i will note that I shall forever loath and hate you Ken.

on the other hand, you're welcome to take the P with me too.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY