River pictures

davedave

arbo,

That's a REAL bone of contention between food farmers and environmentalist in the USA. Search Google and you'll see the problem. They use a genetically modified Atlantic Salmon and native brown trout. (they have SUCCESSFULLY added an eel gene to keep them eating year round).

Bad stuff IMO as a few fish are diploid.

Phone

Hi Mark,

Brown trout x salmon? Are you sure?

Mike

Couple of references here

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/f97-111#.UcP0ztxwY2w

Elo K, Erkinaro J, Vuorinen JA, and Niemela E, 1995. Hybridization between Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) and brown trout (Salmo trutta) in the Teno and Naatamo river systems, northernmost Europe. Nordic J Freshwater Res 70:56–61.

Hi Mark,

Brown trout x salmon? Are you sure?

Mike

I'm sure. It doesn't mean I've caught one, or that if I did, I could identify it. From what I remember it was when scientists started doing electro phoresis, later DNA testing, that anomalies appeared, explained by hybridisation. They are exceptionally rare and as with all hybrids are very localised so may not occur in many watersheds and even where they do may only be occasional. When I say brown trout x salmon it could be seatrout x salmon but genetically trout is trout, same species - the progeny of seatrout have a small percentage non migratory, brown trout have a small percentage migratory - a survival mechanism if the watershed has a wipeout.

Of the cyprinids I've only had one chub x bleak and two roach x chub in 45 years of fishing yet can catch roach x bream at will from some local waters. Had a roach x rudd last night on the Dorset Frome where they are rare.

I'm sure. It doesn't mean I've caught one, or that if I did, I could identify it. From what I remember it was when scientists started doing electro phoresis, later DNA testing, that anomalies appeared, explained by hybridisation. They are exceptionally rare and as with all hybrids are very localised so may not occur in many watersheds and even where they do may only be occasional. When I say brown trout x salmon it could be seatrout x salmon but genetically trout is trout, same species - the progeny of seatrout have a small percentage non migratory, brown trout have a small percentage migratory - a survival mechanism if the watershed has a wipeout.

Never heard of trout x salmon before but that's great, learnt something new.

Heard of all the others bar the chub x bleak. However, if a roach x chub is known as a rub, what is a chub x bleak - a cheek? It must be a weird looking thing!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Chub x bleak tend to be small and look just as you'd imagine - a cross between the two; The one I had was about an ounce, Angling Times had one once from the Wye initially thought to be a record bleak at about 5oz. Somewhere there's a pic of one in Angling mag but I can't find the scan.

Chub x bleak tend to be small and look just as you'd imagine - a cross between the two; The one I had was about an ounce, Angling Times had one once from the Wye initially thought to be a record bleak at about 5oz. Somewhere there's a pic of one in Angling mag but I can't find the scan.

A bit like this?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."