Vandalised Gatso's

Elton

So by sending loads by rail you would be happy to see 40% of the HGV drivers out of work.Just to enable you to travel along at 70mph.

Thats the typical attitude of the "DRIVERS" that you see every day on the motorway.There only concern is themselves,like I said its ignorance on the part of most of the "DRIVERS"

How are people hogging the middle lane if they are travelling along at 70mph..????

Isn't that the speed limit..????

If all the motorcars travelled at 70mph in the middle and outside lanes there would be no hold ups would there,every one would just move along smoothly,when they come up to there exit they slow down and move over to the near side lane behind the HGV's and leave the motorway.

Simple aint it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kwakakid:

So by sending loads by rail you would be happy to see 40% of the HGV drivers out of work.Just to enable you to travel along at 70mph.

Thats the typical attitude of the "DRIVERS" that you see every day on the motorway.There only concern is themselves,like I said its ignorance on the part of most of the "DRIVERS"

How are people hogging the middle lane if they are travelling along at 70mph..????

Isn't that the speed limit..????

If all the motorcars travelled at 70mph in the middle and outside lanes there would be no hold ups would there,every one would just move along smoothly,when they come up to there exit they slow down and move over to the near side lane behind the HGV's and leave the motorway.

Simple aint it.

I think it's called "UTOPIA" and it will never happen.

Colin [cruising at 70 with an artic trying to push me along at 80]

kwakakid:

Dream world what artics do 70..????

They are governed to 56mph. :D

You obviously lead a sheltered life!!!!

or suffer from unobserved speedo syndrome!

Try driving at 56 mph and see how many HGVs and Artics overtake you.

I think you will be surprised though probably not as you obviously know more about driving than Transport 2000!! Perhaps you are Transport 2000??

Colin

Guys, our motorways are the safest in Europe if not the world, is it worth increasing the speed limit if it increases congestion and accidents? I forget the actual figures but by doubling the amount of freight on the railways reduces lorry traffic by 5% or something similar. If we cant build our way out of congestion then we have to use what weve got more effectively, What ever our lorry driver colleagues say lorries overtaking to maintain a 1mph differential doesnt help, neither do ignorant motorists sitting in the middle lane. Trouble is we all think we are good drivers and some of the time we are some not. There isnt any answer to this too many people with too many cars wanting to use the road at the same time, and I'm one of them!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I lead a sheltered life !!!!!

I drive ARTICS up and down the country every day and have done for 25yrs.

I drive on average 70k miles per year.

So dont tell me I've led a sheletered life.

Instead of driving around with your blinkered, tunnel vision,look around some time, you might just notice whats going on around you.

Oh and by the way articulated lorries are governed to 56mph and coaches to 60mph.

There's opinions, and then there's facts, and some people even have opinions based on facts!!!

But too many just have opinions, and maybe remember just a few selective secondhand 'facts' according to their prejudices.

http://www.kentandmedwaysafetycameras.org....g.uk/views.html

http://www.kentandmedwaysafetycameras.org....casualties.html

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadsafety/cam...meras/index.htm

Tight Lines - leon

[ 15. June 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

kwakakid:

Oh and by the way articulated lorries are governed to 56mph and coaches to 60mph.

Yours maybe, but how do you explain the fact that at 70 mph I get overtaken by supposedly governed vehicles [Artics, other HGVs and Coaches] I recently followed 2 coaches on the A55 nr Bagnor and they pulled away from me when I reached my cruise speed of 70.

I will agree with you that it is peoples attitudes are probably the greatest problems on our roads. As you say most drivers are totally selfish and can't see further than the end of their bonnetts.

Colin

kwakakid:

Dont believe accidents are a speed oriented thing,I believe it's down to driver intelligence and in most cases sheer ignorance.

'While not all drivers accept that higher speeds are correlated with a higher risk of accident involvement (e.g. Corbett, Simon and O'Connell 1998), statistical aggregate studies have demonstrated that there is a causal link between speed and accidents which prompts the need for lower speeds (e.g. Finch et al 1993; Baum, Wells and Lund 1991; O'Neill 1990). Moreover, research suggests that up to a third of all fatal road traffic accidents are speed- related (Finch et al, ibid), which means that in 1996 around 1,200 people died because of inappropriate speed. Despite this, drivers regard speeding as one of the least serious traffic offences (e.g. Corbett and Simon 1991; Brown and Copeman 1975), speed limit offences processed by police continue to rise (although this could be a result of the proliferation of cameras: Home Office 1996,Table 2), and most drivers in Great Britain admit to exceeding limits (Lex 1997).'

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadsafety/res...ch11/sc01.htm#2

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Dan:

Trouble is we all think we are good drivers and some of the time we are some not.

'On an individual basis too, some reshaping of drivers' beliefs and perceptions is required. Research by the authors has shown that many drivers can recognise the danger of high speed but think that when they themselves drive fast they are in control so no harm will befall them (Corbett, Simon and O'Connell 1998). This illustrates the operation of the illusion of control, well documented by other researchers, which shows inter alia that drivers tend to hold the following beliefs: they are better than average (e.g. Svenson 1981; Corbett and Simon 1992), they are less likely to have an accident as a driver than as a passenger (Horswill and McKenna 1997), they are less likely to be involved in accidents than other drivers (Finn and Bragg 1986), the roads would be safer if others drove like them even if they are high offenders (Corbett and Simon 1992); and that faster drivers think they are less likely to have an accident than slower drivers (Corbett and Simon 1992). In other words, education is needed not only globally to turn around the value placed on speed and substitute a greater value placed, for example, on safety or smoothness while driving; but also it is needed to encourage individual drivers to acknowledge that they are vulnerable to higher speeds and that the majority cannot be 'better than average'.'

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadsafety/res...ch11/sc01.htm#2

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member