Get Orf Moi Laaaaand!

Elton

The problems of trespassers are many.

If you do not discourage them and you know you have trespassers, then you have a duty of care toward them. So it is best to say 'Private Land, Keep Out' at every possible access point. With the way that everybody and his wife want an excuse to take you to court for damages nowadays, it is better to pull up the drawbridge.

Another reason that I don't want anybody on my property without I know them, is as follows. If I am working with some tools or impliments, I want to be able to leave them where they are for short periods from time to time without the worry of somebody walking off with them while I'm gone. If I know that I am the only one who has been around, then I will look for a mislaid tool until I find it. If I know that others have been, or might have been around, I don't know whether to look for it or assume it has been taken.

The last year that I made silage, I caught 3 youngsters walking through a field of laid up grass. I week later, when we cut the grass, an electric fencing stake went up through the machine and wrecked the blades, on the very line they had taken throught the field. The only time this had ever happened in about 15 years of making silage.

Set asside areas are often used in connection with pheasant shooting. This often has to subsidize the farming business nowadays. Shooting is as much a crop as peas or sugar beet. You don't want dogs spreading you birds all over the county.

I used to wander about all over the place with a dog when I was a younster, but I changed my habits after buying a farm of my own.

How many people would not show concern if they saw someone having a good look at the nice shiny car that they had just spent a lot of money on, and had parked it up somewhere????

[ 04. June 2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Roper:

The problems of trespassers are many.

If you do not discourage them and you know you have trespassers, then you have a duty of care toward them. So it is best to say 'Private Land, Keep Out' at every possible access point. With the way that everybody and his wife want an excuse to take you to court for damages nowadays, it is better to pull up the drawbridge.

Another reason that I don't want anybody on my property without I know them, is as follows. If I am working with some tools or impliments, I want to be able to leave them where they are for short periods from time to time without the worry of somebody walking off with them while I'm gone. If I know that I am the only one who has been around, then I will look for a mislaid tool until I find it. If I know that others have been, or might have been around, I don't know whether to look for it or assume it has been taken.

The last year that I made silage, I caught 3 youngsters walking through a field of laid up grass. I week later, when we cut the grass, an electric fencing stake went up through the machine and wrecked the blades, on the very line they had taken throught the field. The only time this had ever happened in about 15 years of making silage.

Set asside areas are often used in connection with pheasant shooting. This often has to subsidize the farming business nowadays. Shooting is as much a crop as peas or sugar beet. You don't want dogs spreading you birds all over the county.

I used to wander about all over the place with a dog when I was a younster, but I changed my habits after buying a farm of my own.

How many people would not show concern if they saw someone having a good look at the nice shiny car that they had just spent a lot of money on, and had parked it up somewhere????

No law of trespass in Scotland and they seem to get on OK.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Scratch dtb:

Not sure about that!!!

I come from a line of farmers and have parents who still are!

I count myself my dad and my mum friendly and happy peeps!!

I have horses and a pet sheep so does that make me a farmer too??? :D

C x

I too have an "agricultural upbringing" although in Scotland. There are no real trespass laws in Scotland, but I think this may be changing, but sheep farmers CAN and WILL shoot dogs off the leash, especially at lambing time.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Tinca61:

And you're working to pay for his subsidised life..!

...and remember this people...

...while you're working hard to subsidise his life, the farmer is working his ass off (often done a days work before you even get settled in your traffic jam, often still at work while you watch Sky TV on an evening, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year) to put food in the supermarkets for you to eat.

The reason you have to subsidise the farmer is because the government are screwing them hand over fist in other ways. Trade laws with Europe that basically give the Europe more right to flood the UK market with European goods than we can export to Europe. You don't like paying the subsidy through tax, then use your vote in the next General Election. Simple.

Maybe you'll do the decent thing one day after you have let your dogs roam all over his land. Invite him to bring one of his cows, sheep or pigs back to your house and let it free on your lawn, or maybe let him park his tractor on your driveway, or maybe he could have a nice picnic on the front grass, or maybe let his kids go running through your boarder plants. or even let him fly tip all the crap out of the tractor sheds in your street.

A farmers fields are his garden, just his garden is alot larger than yours. The same rules apply to his garden as you apply to yours.

Tight Lines.

Chris.

quote:

A farmers fields are his garden, just his garden is alot larger than yours. The same rules apply to his garden as you apply to yours.

So this means that I can buy huge plastic bags of fertilizer and feed etc and just discard them all over the place when I've emptied them. I've always thought that they look at their prettiest when hanging off a bankside willow after having been deposited by a flood. Then again I might not be able to drop my litter on his land as he may well have deliberately blocked off the public access points.

Paul

corydoras:

No law of trespass in Scotland and they seem to get on OK.

Why are they so keen on the Right to Roam legislation if there is nothing to stop them anyway?

There is no 'law' against trepass in England, unless it is armed trespass, but there is a Tort of trespass.

Tinca61:

I'm sure there are plenty of farms for you to rent if you would like to have a go yourself. A small place would cost you no more than a council house rent and you would get the house thrown in for nothing.

Jim Roper:

Jim Roper:

I'm sure there are plenty of farms for you to rent if you would like to have a go yourself. A small place would cost you no more than a council house rent and you would get the house thrown in for nothing.
I've actually been thinking about this lately. Not as a working farm, but as a premises for my business. I'm having difficulty convincing the wife that the rent I pay at the moment would be far better spent on a place that we could own. Especially if it had a lake :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

i am suprised farmers dont make money just by holding metal detector rallies , all the laws regarding "finds" are bourne by the finder (ie in declaring any finds) i expect a few finds will disapear into the wellies just as they do with archeological digs , but most metal detector users are usually honest individuals and DO declare their finds , the finds if found to be treasure will of course anyway be divided equally between the finder and the landowner especially if its a clause in the ticket , an advert in a magazine and i expect hoards will turn up and gladly pay for the privilage of a new site at say £10 a day it should be worth the farmers time :) several days a year could be used when the grass is short after cattle has been on it ,after silege or hay making and if arable before ploughing and after ploughing before seeding ,the farmer would earn cash just by sitting in his armchair taking the money at the gate :D

[ 04. June 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Elton:

I've actually been thinking about this lately. Not as a working farm, but as a premises for my business. I'm having difficulty convincing the wife that the rent I pay at the moment would be far better spent on a place that we could own. Especially if it had a lake :)

The lowest priced farm homes would be ones with an occupational conditional attached to the planning consent. This would mean that you would have to get at least half(I think) income from the holding, be retired from or employed locally in agriculture (possibly aquaculture if it meant that you needed to be on site at any time as necessary). They would be priced any something like 50% of the open market value, I would think.

These conditions usually mean that you cannot get a normal home loan to buy the place.

Without such a condition, you have to compete in the market with all the people who have earned a lot of money from outside farming and want 'a little estate in the country'.

You will be up against the likes of musicians, bankers, politicians, 'leaders of industry' and not forgetting lawyers.

I'm sure there are lots of people in farming that would consider selling a share in their farm in exchange for clearing their overdraft.

Of course you will need somewhere that has broadband available!!!