Float rod advice

Piperspruce

buy yourself an okuma centrepin to go with the hyperloop, - nothing beats the fun of playing a good fish on float gear and a 'pin :)

I have the drennan series 7 tench and specimen rod, it's a great float rod, the tip is soft enough to go down to around 3lb line for silvers and crucians, and it has enough power when needed to play tench and smaller carp as well. paired with a centrepin it's probably the most used rod in my bag.

Mat

Ha ha ok I'll bite, which Okuma would you suggest for a novice that gets many a tangle with a fixed spool reel! I quite fancy the challenge of learning a new skill...

Just had a quick look on eBay. There is a TFG pin on there for £26 with free postage and packaging. They're claiming it has an RRP of £230!! Surely that's a RRP they never actually sell it at, and for £26 you won't get a workable reel?

Dave H,

Depends on who's watching.

In fairness, I also contend that yes indeed, casters that reach a certain skill level can definitely feel the difference between a low-end rod and a high-end rod, just like an experienced guitarist can hear the tones and feel the actions that make a Martin or Taylor something special. I only know - - - maybe half a dozen such anglers and they are generally reel and line experts as well. They can "feel" the combination. I don't think I ever could - certainly can't now.

I now find I've used inexpensive fiberglass for so long I actually prefer the cheaper rod for "catching fish" my way.

I confess, I used to fish Fenwick almost exclusively for the label (and the vest). Now I fish UglyStik for the fun.

Phone

I have got an ugly stik somewhere. I think i might get in the loft and have some fun. yes i agree with all said. I think a float angler all his life might tell the difference. maybe someone with that pedigree on here can comment :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Ha ha ok I'll bite, which Okuma would you suggest for a novice that gets many a tangle with a fixed spool reel! I quite fancy the challenge of learning a new skill...

Okuma aventa pro vt1002

I think I have posted about them a few times.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

So let's get techno here.

What is the difference between a £50 rod and a £250 float rod. Let's say you have a 10lb carp on the end of the line (quite a standard fish nowadays in many fisheries).

Do you really have a better chance on a £250 to justify paying a whopping 5X more of your hard earned money. What technology is better in that rod to pay 5X as much?

Do you have a 500% more chance of landing that fish being that all other things are equal.

Where do you pay that extra 500%?. Build quality i am sure. so now we are down to the action of the rod.

come on you techo's ;):)

I am not an expert but here goes.

Components - the blank, handle, cork grade, reel seat, eyes/guides, carbon grade/weave, resins used with carbon, whippings.

Weight of rod: components keep weight down.

Design: the way rod is built from handle, reel seat position, position of eyes.

Recovery rate, action, speed, balance.

All these things add up to give a thinner/lighter/responsive rod that is a joy to handle, cast with, strike with and yes you do feel more confident in playing and landing a fish.

They say an expensive rod does not make a better angler, very true but using better quality kit aids enjoyment, isn't enjoyment the name of the game?

To sum up, having used many waggler and feeder rods over the years you can most certainly feel the difference as you go up the price ladder but I would conclude the overall design and way the rod is built is the most important factor.

I am sure some of the rod builders on here can give a better answer.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

I think the comparison with running shoes fit what you are saying. I read an article that said it cost Nike $100 per ounce to reduce weight at the top levels.

And, I think an expensive rod DOES make a better angler. Confidence is the name of the game.

Besides - the guy that dies with the most toys wins!

Phone

I am not an expert but here goes.

Components - the blank, handle, cork grade, reel seat, eyes/guides, carbon grade/weave, resins used with carbon, whippings.

Weight of rod: components keep weight down.

Design: the way rod is built from handle, reel seat position, position of eyes.

Recovery rate, action, speed, balance.

All these things add up to give a thinner/lighter/responsive rod that is a joy to handle, cast with, strike with and yes you do feel more confident in playing and landing a fish.

They say an expensive rod does not make a better angler, very true but using better quality kit aids enjoyment, isn't enjoyment the name of the game?

To sum up, having used many waggler and feeder rods over the years you can most certainly feel the difference as you go up the price ladder but I would conclude the overall design and way the rod is built is the most important factor.

I am sure some of the rod builders on here can give a better answer.

I agree with all you've said. The point I tried to make is that all too often a young or inexperienced (or returning) angler will only consider the current retail price of the latest equipment when they could get far better value by buying top of the range ( tried and tested) second-hand gear which has seen very little use for far less than their stated budget.

Edit- I apologise if I sound contrary; it's an addition to your post, not a a contradiction.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Dave H,

Depends on who's watching.

In fairness, I also contend that yes indeed, casters that reach a certain skill level can definitely feel the difference between a low-end rod and a high-end rod, just like an experienced guitarist can hear the tones and feel the actions that make a Martin or Taylor something special. I only know - - - maybe half a dozen such anglers and they are generally reel and line experts as well. They can "feel" the combination. I don't think I ever could - certainly can't now.

I now find I've used inexpensive fiberglass for so long I actually prefer the cheaper rod for "catching fish" my way.

I confess, I used to fish Fenwick almost exclusively for the label (and the vest). Now I fish UglyStik for the fun.

Phone

I agree to a certain extent, Phone. If I was still using the same top of the range fibreglass float rods available in the early eighties when i first had (as a single man) unlimited funds, and had never experienced the ease which modern equipment enabled me to fish, then I'd never know the difference and would still be thrashing away with the same old kit. Having to some extent succumbed to the hype and experienced what good design and modern materials are capable of it would be difficult to have to return to the limitations imposed by the gear of the time.

The freedom given by more capable and responsive equipment is to take the onus away from the limitations imposed by inferior tech and allow the angler to concentrate on what really matters; ie presntation, watercraft and so on.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Rob,

On the supposition I am right (few anglers can tell the difference if blindfolded) the rod alone would not fulfill the things you want. I call it the "Rolex" syndrome. On the matter of status, and prestige, there is certainly nothing fundamentally wrong with those values. They were once my values. My daughter doesn't even want a Rolex (iPhone's have the time).

I like your idea of pre-owned - - - and it may leave a little cushion to buy maggots.

Phone

I respect the fact that too many it’s a feeling that you have one of the best rods in your hands to do the job. It makes you feel good and yes all the makings of the rod are of a much higher quality and too many that feel good factor makes many enjoy the sport even more.

But the price difference is so huge that to some that feel good factor cancels out any hike in the price but does the rod put more fish

on the bank

I am not being arrogant here just wondering myself on the subject :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon