koi

MICK SMITH39

Hello all, my koi has been enjoying the sun the same as the rest of us, and he sometimes sits at one end of the pond with the top inch or so of his tail sticking out of the water,i noticed it was a little red and thought it might be sun burnt, but I also noticed that sometimes these little flys were on his tail,today I noticed a boil on his tail, any thoughts please.

MICK,

Koi are carp and they certainly can be sunburnt. A koi that has reddened,inflamed skin on the top of the fish in the summer should be suspected of being sunburned. In the case of the top of the tail it is likely in addition to sunburn the mucus coating is damaged. This weakened condition allows for all sorts of problems - bacteria, parasites, etc.

I'm a carper not a koi fish keeper. Others with a lot more expertise will no doubt be along.

Phone