Winter fishing on the Medway around Maidstone

Alan Stubbs

Budgie

I only have experiance of the water from a match perspective but here is some general info. Its a typical dammed stream, estate lake the Len flows into the shallow end out somewhere at the deeper end. Its fairly shallow, I have never found more than about 6ft. Its controlled by Maidstone Victory but day tickets were available, and i assume they still are, from local tackle shops.

The main stock is Bream averaging 6lbs, I have never caught one smaller than 4lbs, and they are usualy in a good sise shoal. In addition there is good pike fishing some good tench, I have had a 6 pounder in a match, and some carp. Also as mentioned is a good head of roach. Again I fish as the match angler but have had them to 2lb and have witnessed some ipressive bags of fish in the 12oz-2lb catagory to match tacktics. The downside to all this is that Moat Park is the main green space for Maidstone. It has the main leisure centre on its edge a pitch and put course a sailing club and a very very noisy model boat club. Add the usual walkers, cyclists, dogs. That said the swims are mostly set well of the paths and for a large water (est 20-30acres) there are oly about 50-60 swims.

Despite the business it is still quite a relaxing place to be. It is also fantastic for family trips as you can pack the W&K of to the swiming pool, model railway or shops while you fish.

Hope that was of some help.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgie, check this link Quest for a dream

Click on Quest for a dream and then "more Roach"

Den

[ 31. December 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

One of the problems of Mote park is that it's very big, very wide, and mostly featureless (bottom-wise), so shoals of fish tend to roam around with lots of fishless water between them, and often prefer to shoal well away from the bank.

There is a theory that fishing started to go downhill when a keepnet ban was introduced and pleasure anglers abandoned the water.

Without a regular supply of groundbait going in around the margins, the fished moved out to the peace and quiet of the middle.

To try to counter that, the controlling club, Maidstone & Victory, opened the water up to day tickets (available from Maidstone Angling).

The carp especially have learned to profit from the many who go down to the lake to feed the ducks, and can be seen with polaroids, feeding beneath their churning feet.

Unfortunately, the main duck feeding area is out of bounds to anglers!

However, the fish do know what bread is, a point lost on many who fish there.

As I mentioned above, the shoals move around. The roach particularly shoal by year group.

So you often have the situation where an angler is bagging up with 6oz roach, but two pegs down no one is getting a bite, whereas someone somewhere has a shoal of 2lb+ roach in front of him.

Although there are one or two reliable swims (at different times of the year) on each visit the fish will be somehwere different to the last visit.

You then have the choice of baiting a swim and hoping to intercept and hold a passing shoal, or to move from swim to swim until you encounter the fish (work out which way the fish are likely to be travelling or you might find them following behind you all of the time. They tend to move along swimming into the sub surface flow, which is often moving in the opposite direction to the surface flow).

If you find a shoal of small fish, or a shaol of small fish move into your baited area, and you are after the big ones, it's time to move on.

Also any slight depression of just two or three inches is worth concentrating upon, with fish located at the point that the bottom inclines, rather than in the depression itself.

The fish have a reputation for starting the season at the shallow end (where the Len enters) and moving up towards the 'deep' swims at the cafe end as the year progresses.

There are also some big hybrids in there so you need to approach talk of catches of 3lb roach with some caution.

Mote Park is one of those places where the tench are prepared to put in an appearance during the winter months.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Budgie

I only fish moat park in the warmer months so can't comment about winter fishing.

In the summer/autumn months it is possible to catch roach anywhere, sitting about half to a third along the cement wall section is as good a spot as any (avoid sitting on the very deep section off the wall nearest the car park) or if you want to get away from the crowds a bit the swims to the right of the golf club are good. the best method I have found is waggler fished on the drop, anywhere from 8 to 25 meters out, maggots and casters will catch you plenty of fish on a 20 hook to 0.08 trace, just keep on feeding 6-12 maggots every few minutes and the roach will eventually arrive. You will pick up fish of varying sizes. and may even latch into some hefty perch (a Friend of mine had 70lb one day all perch!!!!). The best technique is to overcast the target area, feed then drag your float into the feed, let the bait settle and then if you dont get no bites reel half a turn to twitch the bait and then let it settle again. The roach love to intercept a falling bait you will quit often get a bite instantly after moving the float. Also it is worth casting slighty to the side if the baited area as quite often the bigger fish will hang back on the edge of the feed.

If it is Bream you are after the swims by the Hawthorn tree on the caff side are the most reliable, fish have been caught here in every match I have fished at Moat and quite often the winner comes from here, it is just a matter of using a simple groundbit feeder rig, putting down a bed of bait and waiting, odds on they will turn up at some point in the day and you will get a few fish. Bait wise maggot, worm, and bread all catch fish, also a guy I know catches a lot on hair rigged peparami sausage!!!!!!!!

Remeber this info only about the Summer from July to October I have never fished Moat at any other times so can't comment on the winter.

As far as I know there is no keepnet ban, and tickets are available from Nicks tackle, or Maidstone angling at £5 each

Hope this info helps you

[ 31. December 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: nick_gilbert ]

BUDGIE:

Thanks Leon.Does anyone know if tickets are available on the bank or must you get them prior to fishing? Any time fishing time restrictions?

Hi Budgie,

No tickets, aren't available on the bank :(

The park is locked at night and the gate opening and closing times are displayed by the main gate as you come in.

see http://www.digitalmaidstone.co.uk/cgi-bin/...ge.pl?mysql=144

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust