tornados-do you get them?

payara

hi all,i have seen a few rater large tornados up

close and it is frightning,but interesting at the same time.the ones i seen had been well developed

before they came into view.although i was not really close about a mile,i could still see them

rip through a large corn field.when i say them

i mean one that split into two.they danced around this massive field for about 10 mins and then headed over a wooded area and seem to break up and

just stop.it was like it ran out of gas.after this happened it was fallowed by the worst hail

and rain i have ever seen.it was wierd because i would have thought that the rain and hail would have come first.it really did not cause any real

dammage,except to this farmers corn field,but i

don't think i would want to see one again,at

least not any closer.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where ya from payara?

I know Oklahoma/Kansas get more than their fair share. Texas too and a section of Arkansas is well known for it's.

[ 22. February 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

ahhh tornado alley eh Newt?

I remember telling my hillbilly cuzzin that i'd be going storm chasing when i go over there to see you two, his reply was something along the lines of "Alan my dear chap you really are extremelly insane did you know that" well he actually said "Ohh Alan, you're as mad as those boys who do it for a job" :D

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

What he really said was "Trogg - you got bat sh*t for brains". :D

[ 22. February 2003, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

newt-i am from NE ohio,about 30miles south of lake erie.i know we don't experience tornados like

they do in the ''alley''we do get a fair share of

extremly nasty ones.we had a few just last november that leveled city blocks,about 15-20miles from me.i know your probably saying its cold up hear in november,it is,but we had a few

days that were in the 60's and some cold air off

the lake came sweeping down meeting that really

warm air coming from the south west,and it just

raised hell all over the place.my city,akron was

just missed by a really large one just to the

south.there was over 15 that were confirmed touch

downs in about a 100 mile radius.thank god we were

spared.there was a somewhat large death toll from

these storms.

btw newt aren't you from NC,i was watching the weather channel and they said that there is a

second tornado alley,but has not been declared an

offical,but the science boys are wanting to have

a portion of NC on the coast have a title like this because they said this area has an unusual

amount of tornados.just thought i would share that with you.

Yup. The area I lived in before I move a couple years ago to just outside Charlotte. Both tornados and hurricanes avoid this area usually.

You have some great carpers up your way. Any chance you've run across Buckeye Bob (Bob Bernowski)?

Originally posted by payara:

[QB] newt-i am from NE ohio,about 30miles south of lake erie.i know we don't experience tornados l

Hi, Payara, welcome to the A/N. I know you have posted before but I have been on vacation in England for 7 weeks so I missed them. I have been to the Akron area many times as I have English friends there.

Just after I moved to Cranberry, which is 20 miles north of Pittsburgh, in 1984 the area just north of us was hit by 6 or 7 tornados which spread into Ohio. The nearest on was 3 miles north of my house, all we got was high wind and heavy rain. The sky was as black as night. Trees in the Evans City graveyard (where the Night Of The Living Dead was filmed) were toppled and coffins were lifted out of the of the ground. Seeing as I am a sick basket I went to have a looksee but the cops had stopped people going to the graveyard. A friend was a plumber and kept his parts in his basement and was down there when the tornado went through and took his whole house away leaving him lying under pile of pipes etc without a scratch. A big swathe of downed trees marked the tornadoes path for a cuple of miles. I took some photos but I don't know where they are now. We will have to meet up and catch a few carp this summer. Have you tried the "carp capital of the world", Pymatuning Reservois?

Hillbilly.

hillbilly-we are not very far from each other,only

maybe 2-3 hrs by car.but anyways i have never had

the chance to fish pymatuning resivoir.i have

been there when i was younger and seen the people

feed those carp at the spillway,but never got to fish it :( i have some friends that use to fish it alot and they caught many carp there but never

any really big ones for some reason.i have thought about giving it a go this year.as they said they have caught over a hundered carp from

5-15lbs in a weekend.not very large fish but hey,

thats action.that is a huge water and has big big

carp,they just never found them.

i bet you do alot of river fishing as you live very close to 3 big ones.i know thats where i would be fishing in your area.anyway we will

have to hook up and tackle a water sometime,it

would be great.

ps i am sorry about your friends house,those tornados can be nasty.oh yeah thanks for the welcome.

quote:

Originally posted by payara: we will

have to hook up and tackle a water sometime,it

would be great.[/QB]

Payara, sound's great. We'll have to arrange a fish in with other carpers at a central location. I used to go to Pymatuming if I'd had a slow period or just felt like a bit of fun. It's like you said, loads of fish to 15lbs or so but big ones hard to catch but can be seen. The "tiddlers" get your bait first!

I now live in Morgantown, WV, and don't fish as much as I used to due to working away but I'm now retired and intend to make up for it. I've got some camping gear so overnighters can be arranged. My e-mail address is in my profile, contact me if you like.

Hillbilly.