Ive got some new rods!

Dick Dastardly

As those who have fished with me know my bream rods have seen much much better days! I built them back in the mid 80's from Tricast 12' 1 3/4lb blanks. Built primarily for fishing for big bream at range theyve seen service for lots of different things from close in fishing for carp even to my first 20lb Catfish!

The long rod hours (especially those clocked up in the 80's when I would regularly session fish for carp for months on end) and subsequent exposure to the elements have taken their toll! and despite a re varnish (done for my first season on Collingbrook in the 90's) they are looking pretty shabby! So much so that my brother couldnt bear it any longer and for my birthday has treated me to a new set of Wychwood 1 3/4lb Barbel rods to replace them for my breaming .

Now to the interesting bit.As they are no longer available he had to scour Ebay for the three of them.All were in unused condition still having the protective plastic wrapping on the handle..................and he managed to buy all three plus two reels for himself for less than the price of one of my old ones!

Ive said it before but its worth saying again,there has never been a better time to get good tackle at a low price.

Of course the real question now is will he be able to convince me that my Mitchell 300S's need retiring :rolleyes: I doubt it! And it will be interesting to see if the new rods will last anywhere near as long as the old ones!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger
As those who have fished with me know my bream rods have seen much much better days! I built them back in the mid 80's from Tricast 12' 1 3/4lb blanks. Built primarily for fishing for big bream at range theyve seen service for lots of different things from close in fishing for carp even to my first 20lb Catfish!

The long rod hours (especially those clocked up in the 80's when I would regularly session fish for carp for months on end) and subsequent exposure to the elements have taken their toll! and despite a re varnish (done for my first season on Collingbrook in the 90's) they are looking pretty shabby! So much so that my brother couldnt bear it any longer and for my birthday has treated me to a new set of Wychwood 1 3/4lb Barbel rods to replace them for my breaming .

Now to the interesting bit.As they are no longer available he had to scour Ebay for the three of them.All were in unused condition still having the protective plastic wrapping on the handle..................and he managed to buy all three plus two reels for himself for less than the price of one of my old ones!

Ive said it before but its worth saying again,there has never been a better time to get good tackle at a low price.

Of course the real question now is will he be able to convince me that my Mitchell 300S's need retiring :rolleyes: I doubt it! And it will be interesting to see if the new rods will last anywhere near as long as the old ones!

Sounds like your a happy chappy, good stuff :)

Bruv Going to ansewr that question! The answer is - The rods will last you quite a few years unless if I fell down the stairs again! :D and Get rid of those silly Mitchell 300S reels - as they're out of date! :D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Uh-oh, beware the curse of the new tackle!

Those are exactly the rods I want for bream/tench - I must look harder on ebay. The new Drennan ones look great, but are too expensive for me at the moment.

Good luck with them Budgie, I hope you land something very special...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Those rods sound nice Budgey,

Most of my rods are built from Tricast spun blanks...very nice products...re the 300's i still use mine but recently bought a shimano 4000. I was so impressed i went and bought another :D

The Shimano 4000 has been out of production for a year or two now so unless you know a tackleshop that still has some you would probably have to look on ebay for one if you wanted one; plus get a few spare spools before they become hard to get. :)

BB leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

My 300S's have caught me a lot of fish of differing sizes and different species and never let me down.They still match all but the biggest "Big Pits" for casting.Crap drag even though its better than the older 300's but Im happier back winding with them. Easy to service and despite having been out of production for best part of 20 years spares are still avaiable. Try getting spares for even a current Shimano!

I do own Shimano reels and use them for other fishing.They are very good. Smooth,good line lay and good drags.In fact my only dislikes of them is their size! They have huge bodies and the only thing that changes much in the different sizes is the spool!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger
My 300S's have caught me a lot of fish of differing sizes and different species and never let me down.They still match all but the biggest "Big Pits" for casting.Crap drag even though its better than the older 300's but Im happier back winding with them. Easy to service and despite having been out of production for best part of 20 years spares are still avaiable. Try getting spares for even a current Shimano!

I do own Shimano reels and use them for other fishing.They are very good. Smooth,good line lay and good drags.In fact my only dislikes of them is their size! They have huge bodies and the only thing that changes much in the different sizes is the spool!

Budgie if your Mitchells are goosed and obviously you really like them, they are always on or coming up on ebay often brand new or as good as and they usually go very cheap. Just a thought m8.

..Get rid of those silly Mitchell 300S reels - as they're out of date! :D

Nonsense! In fact I bought myself a "new" Mitchell Match a few months ago off Ebay. I got it for practically nothing because, as the seller said, "it was ticking". Took five minutes to fix it! Should see me out :rolleyes: