replacement tip for wilson rod

numes

hi ,

anyone know if its possible to buy replacement quivertips for a john wilson avon/quiver rod ?

i think its a slightly older model as the white tip is fixed permenantly into the spigot and is wound and varnished ,which ive stripped off and removed the broken tip ,unfortunately i seem to have lost the spare tip i used to have.

cheers ,paul

Try Masterline here are the details

MASTERLINE INT LTD

COTTESWOLD ROAD

TEWKSBURY

GLOS

GL20 5DJ

TEL: 01684 299000

FAX: 01684 292557

sales@masterline.co.uk

Paul

masterline only supple the new tips now,you could

see if your local tackle shop can get it fixed for you. if your local tackle shop carn't help then what you could do is look in the local cheep shops/woolworths ect for one of those paphetic fishing kits that sell for around £6 as these are fibreglass and the top section should be ok to use (throw the rest in the bin)strip of the eyes and give it a light sanding to take the shine of the surface then drop it down the inside of your rods blank and pull hand tight only and mark were it meets the cut of end of rod (you should of by now cut and chamford the end)then push the quivertip back down and out find the mark and cut off 2-3 inches below this .then re-incert your new quiver section (dont glue it!!)and pull it tight into position then whip over the join this will be strong enougth to hold it and if you should ever snap it again then its a easy job to replace.arildite on a tip ring and superglue on the intermeidates

lining them up with the rods other rings and whip them on then paint it white (hi-gloss)2-3 coats and a final lacquar coat .

it should have a test curve of about 2-3oz.

you should check this out alternative method

here is a tip i picked up carn't remember where

but it might be worth checking out !

"As a point of interest I snapped the quiver tip on my old Avon [ dont ask!! ]And emailed Masterline to see if they could find me one.They replied that they only did the new version but could supply me with the three tips and the carrier both at 16 quid each got me thinking so went out to the garage to check out both rods.Cut a long storey short I cut off the old quiver and whipped around the end 1/2 inch doping and varnishing to make it secure I then ordered the three tips for 16 sqid just had to snuff them off a little to make a perfect fit so now both my old and new Avon rods have three tips.......almost glad I snapped it in the first place."

you could give harrisonrods a call to see if they can get

you a qiver tip replacement (donkey top)

i should have a video someware in which john wilson snaps his tip and shows you how to replace it.if i can find it i'll stick it to dvd

and send it to you as a guide if you want.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

thanks chaps,

phoned masterline and like you said chavender they told me they dont do them any more.

cheers for the suggestions on mending the tip ,if i can find a cheapo rod i'll give that a go as ive got nothing to lose have i.

You need to ask your local tackle shop for a "Donkey Top", if he does not have one ask another.

A donkey top is approx 2 foot long piece of unpainted fibreglass that tapers to a point.

How to:

Cut of the old tip untill you get to hollow rod section, then from the other end insert the pointed end of the donkeytop and allow to fall through, because of the taper of both the rod and new tip it will wedge, dont pull it to tight just yet but tight enough to give a snug fit.

Now where the rod ends and the new tip begins mark the new tip with a marker pen and then remove it. Cut the tip about 1.5 inches (any longer and you'll create a deadspot in the rod) longer than the mark and then reinsert the tip back in your rod blank and pull for a snug fit (there is no need to glue). Cut the fine end of your new tip back to the length/thickness you require and whip your rod rings back on and dope them.

Sand the new tip paying attention to the joint between rod and tip so there are no rough bits that will catch and damage your mainline, paint and varnish and your done.

Now if you break the tip again it will be easier to replace it..without all the expense of new tips.

Let me know if you need any point expanding on. :)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I repaired my one by first filing the top flat then with a small drill drilled down until broke through to the hollow section then fitted small ferrule which a friend made me how I can use tip from the later Wilson rod.

Rick J