fishing the river stour.

MattSchaller.

hi,

Im looking to do some river fishing along the River Stour, can anyone recommend some good stretches of the river that are either free or day tickets? Wanna fish mainly for pike and perch but happy to fish Where ever the fishing is good!

i have heard the fishing is almost dead on the Stour, Ive also heard that the Bures stretch is suppose to be fishing well,which is good for me as in=ts only 15 mins away, are either true?

If anyone can help itll be greatly appreciated! :)

thanks!

Theres only two days i like to go fishing, when its raining and when its not.

Hi Matt

you need to amend the title to Suffolk stour as there are many river stours.

I recognise it because of the mention of bures and I live local.

Most of the river banks are privately owned hence clubs agree rents and use the waters. Some have daytickets some don't but none are too expensive. Its a bit early for pike at present and the Suffolk stour is very much a winter fishery.

I can help you loads if you want and give me more details

John

The Stour is ten minutes walk from the house but it's not your Stour, it's the Worcestershire Stour.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ah sorry, ill refer to it as the suffolk stour from now on!

Cheers john, is it worth joining a club? I was looking at the Colnes Angling Society but dont want to join if its not really worth it.

Do you fish along the river often?

Greatly appreciate the help :)

Matt

Hi Matt

I know the river very well from wixoe (near Haverhill) all the way through to nayland and a bit beyond but not so well.

Colnes are not really a river club and just have the bits at bures and nayland. The bures stretch however is a very good stretch.

Sudbury club have a lot of the river around Sudbury and long melford. The bit through Sudbury is a lot wider and deeper than any other stretch until you get downstream of Dedham. It is therefore a better summer/autumn fishery than the other bits.

If you intend fishing the river then a clubcard is the way to go. Colnes don't do daytickets but Sudbury do. However the cost soon adds up.

What sort of fishing do you like and for what species?.

John

Thanks john,

Bures is close to me so if it fishes well ill think of joining Colne just because its cheaper, and work the stretch of river.

I've been fishing for around 3-4 years now and mainly go for carp, perch, roach, bream etc... trying different methods.

Im very interested in going for pike this autumn/winter, Is the Bures stretch good for pike? or are other stretches better for pike?

what Species do you go for?

again thanks for the help!

Hi Matt

I fish all over east Anglia and for all species depending on the season.

The stour and bures in particular are good for roach perch the odd bream and pike due to the number of roach that pile in there in the winter. There are also a few tench for variety. These show at the tail end of winter espescially. As you have probably seen the river is weedy clear and low in the summer so winter fishing is much better.

If you are newish to angling and new to pike angling I would advise seeking help to learn the basics. Pike care is very important as they are the most fragile fish you will fish for and unhooking safely for you and them is very important.

There is a Pike anglers club teach in at Barham pits soon that is open for anyone to attend. That's near Ipswich. You could get a lot of tips by attending aswell as learning techniques.

John