Ramblings of an old man

Newt

Newt:

Last time I checked, France isn't too fond of us either.  They sort of liked us back on June 6th, 1944, though, didn't they? If you don't  think so, see how nicely they take care of the enormous American cemeteries  up above the Normandy beaches.  For those of you who've studied history,  we also have a few cemeteries in places like Belleau Woods and Chateau Thierry also. For those of you who haven't studied it, that was from World War One  the first time Europe screwed up, and we bailed out the French.  

Newt

Please do not think that all of the French think this way. My ex-wife is French and both of my children live in France with her. They live very close to the Normandy beaches in a village called Douvres la Deliverande. FYI Douvres was liberated by 48 Commando on the 8 June 1944.

A year or so ago during a family meal to celibrate our daughters first communion one of the guests started to criticize America and the Americans as some French are wont to do from time to time.My ex tore a strip off them, explaining that if they were to take a trip along the coast a bit to Colleville sur Mer they would find a cemetery with 10,000 dead Americans who died during WWII so that they would be born free.

My ex was not born until way after the war, she is only 35.

My point is that not all the French have forgotten the sacrifices mady by the Allies in 1944, and the inhabitants of Normandy in particular have not forgotton.

It seems to be customary in these forums to post some kind of link to prove your point, so for what it is worth here goes.

Le Mémorial de Caen, un musée pour la paix

Corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

corydoras - I knew all in France didn't share that attitude. But the ones who do are so vocal and so snotty about it they make a good target for poking fun.

And the French Government's policies have been so consistant, it's really hard not to tar all French folk with the same brush.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

corydoras - I knew all in France didn't share that attitude.  But the ones who do are so vocal and so snotty about it they make a good target for poking fun.

And the French Government's policies have been so consistant, it's really hard not to tar all French folk with the same brush.

Newt

Could not agree with you more mate. Chirac is pursuing his own agenda to the detriment of his country. This will backfire on him in the end.

Corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote