River Adur, Sussex. DEAD

Skridlov

Skrid,

Here's a local blog dated Sept 15. Do you know these guys?

http://www.fishactive.com/county/sussex/sussex-blogs/3135-adur-and-ouse-blog-the-first-edition.html

Is this your river?

http://www.adur-worthing.gov.uk/river-adur/

Is this helpful? EA - Updated 5 Sept 2013

5. Adur

Looks like they are going raise the tidal walls?

Lastly, This site says the river project is to "save the eels".

http://www.oart.org.uk/

In reply to the last couple of posts (apologies for not splitting up my reply)

I've contacted The Ouse and Adur conservation society and summarised as I've already posted here. This is indeed my river and my own home, which is on the lower reaches of the river is actually at flood risk. The proposed work seems to be aimed at the tidal section downstream of Henfield in the Small Dole and Beeding areas. These sections are very brackish although that didn't bother Carp much. But as I said there have been no significant modifications to the river in the last few years.

As for Eels, at the beginning of the season I caught more Eels than I have for many years - not sure why I omitted to mention them. In the last couple of months, none. I understand that there are some bonkers provisions in the current EU proposals for European Rivers. If I feel strong enough one day I'll investigate. I'm currently waiting to hear from E.A. in response to my most recent email to them.

As for Sea Trout, as I mentioned I caught a fluke fish of at least 12 lb a couple of months ago. On a light feeder rod, 6lb line, fishing maggot and sweetcorn on a no12. Static, not on the retrieve. I've caught plenty of fish but it was the fight of a lifetime. Obviously I returned it and I've got the photo if anyone disbelieves me. Strange but at the time it really felt weird, like a consolation prize of some sort and a farewell to part of my own life.

Roy

You try to blame Eastern Europeans in your first post, I fail to see how a small population taking for the pot can wipe out a whole river, if this is the case then our rivers would have been devoid of life up until this century when taking coarse fish for the pot was no longer widespread. I guess there is no fishing left in Poland as they will have systematically wiped out their whole country of fish.

It is easy to blame ee's, cormorants, otters etc. But cormorants and otters are natural predators and EE's surely can't make that much of an impact.

I think we blame the Eastern Europeans for everything that goes wrong in fishing because it's an easy solution to whatever the problem lays. Yes they do have their moments but like Vinney says not a whole river. Am i right in saying the Adur is tidal?

I cant remember for sure as i fished it 40 years back around a pub called the 'black Swan' . I think tidal rivers can suffer more from pollution than others...just a thought :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Dave H, why would you think a tidal river can suffer more?

Skridlov, having witnessed a fish kill involving many species earlier in the year at a local club water I can tell you now - you will never get to the bottom of it.

One thing I have not seen considered in other posts is poachers - I dont mean an Eastern taking a fish for the pot I mean Poachers taking fish to sell to hole in the ground commercial fisheries (there are only so many fish breed per year in fishfarms and they are not cheap to buy) or poachers catching all the silvers to vacuum pack and sell as dead baits.

I am told by a very reliable source that they have seen and been offered fish from swimming pools (quite literally, old swimming pools used as massive fish tanks) at a quarter of the price they would cost from a farm, also no documentation involved.

These things go on, stealing and selling fish is just a drop in the ocean (excuse that pun) to people involved in drug dealing, prostitution, theft and other organised crime.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!