Went fishing for first time in years

StephenP

Hi guys I'm new here.

I went fishing yesterday for the first time in years. I decided to go to the canal for my first time so nobody would laugh at me struggling :) I was using a float setup with a size 14 barbless hook and used sweetcorn as my bait. I had also made some groundbait which was breadcrumbs, koi pellets, sweetcorn and strawberry flavour all ground up. I fished for about 2 or 3 hours but didnt catch a thing, not even a bite. Was I just having a rubish day or was I doing something wrong? :)

Thanks.

OI OI,

I dont know how your canal fishes, but when i used to fish canal's i always used maggot, casters, bread, & breadcrumb, i think you can have to much bait sometimes my fishing pals take the p**s out of how much i carry so it's out the bag (but hidden in the boot, just in case). KEEP IT SIMPLE.

:1a::1a::1a::1a: ................tight lines .....oh & welcome to A.N.

Edited by merlino bill

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Hi guys I'm new here.

I went fishing yesterday for the first time in years. I decided to go to the canal for my first time so nobody would laugh at me struggling :) I was using a float setup with a size 14 barbless hook and used sweetcorn as my bait. I had also made some groundbait which was breadcrumbs, koi pellets, sweetcorn and strawberry flavour all ground up. I fished for about 2 or 3 hours but didnt catch a thing, not even a bite. Was I just having a rubish day or was I doing something wrong? :)

Thanks.

Try Maggots on the hook and feeding a few every couple of minutes.

Works for me every time on the canal where I am

Unless the canal is full of carp, or solid with weed, I'd fish much lighter. Start on a size 20 hook to about a one and a half pound hooklength and work your way heavier or even lighter depending on what happens. Also use a light mainline, no more than 2lb BS, as that will help you cast the light waggler you will need to use (I'm assuming you aren't on a pole). Also try to fish as early in the morning as possible. Midday fishing on a gin clear canal is about as hard as fishing gets!

Oh yeah, on most canals it is also VERY important that the float doesn't drift in the surface skim, not even a foot a minute, which is why most canal anglers use poles. If you are fishing rod and line it's another good reason to fish early before the wind picks up.

Edited by ColinW

Thanks for the replies. I intened to fish on lakes mostly but was just using the canal as a practice. I only got up there at about 5 in the evening and it was quite warm which I don't think helped. The float was also drifting very quickly so I decided to increase the length between the float and hook so it would anchor itself on the bottom. I'm pretty sure that was a mistake though :) Would I be ok using this setup at a lake?

Thanks.

that set up is more suitable for a commerical fishery fishing for small carp. when i fish a canal i use a 4 meter whip with maggot and size 20 hook and either liquidised bread or very light active type ground bait that forms a cloud.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

On free or day ticket waters which get a lot of anglers; Pinkies on a size 20 hook will catch fish when most other baits such as maggots are struggling to get bites so take a pint with you. Almost everyone else will be using maggots. I would choose pinkies over maggots anyday. plus they last twice as long in the fridge, plus they are also an excellent bait for Bream. (even the bigger Bream)

BB leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Good point about the pinkies, when I used to fish that kind of venue I used them in preference to large maggots most of the time. Pound bottom, #20 and double pinky, or even a single one on a #22.

Right ok. So if I go and get some smaller hooks (about size 20) and use smaller bait then I should do a bit better? Would I be ok buying a bread punch and using that as bait?

Bread is cracking bait on the canal. On my canal it was the only way I could avoid Perch. When the Roach are 'avin' bread you'll bag up providing your tackle is light.