Transporting gas

viney

I am buying a welder+bottle of gas (argon) and getting it delivered, I can't seem to find whether I can take it home by car (only found rules and guidelines for commercial not private use) if I get it delivered to work or if I would be best asking the other half to stay in and wait for it to be delivered at home. Can anyone shed any light on this?

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

I am buying a welder+bottle of gas (argon) and getting it delivered, I can't seem to find whether I can take it home by car (only found rules and guidelines for commercial not private use) if I get it delivered to work or if I would be best asking the other half to stay in and wait for it to be delivered at home. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi viney, I assume that your TIG welding is for home use only, so you will need a smaller cylinder, PD, or X, (see link). I can't see any problems with picking it up yourself. I have done it often over the years, working for several companies. As long as you have an account with the supplier, and your vehicle will take the cylinder.

I only provided a link to the BOC site because that's the one I've used most. There are cheaper suppliers, but I can't comment on their policies.

Are you welding stainless,or aluminium?

http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/sheq/gas-safety/cylinder-weights-sizes/argoshield-cylinder-sizes/argoshield-cylinder-sizes.html

John.

Edit,

Ah, just reread your post, your buying the whole package. Is it the Clarkes welder, from Machine Mart?

Again I can't see a problem transporting it home yourself, these usually come with the smallest cylinder.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi viney, I assume that your TIG welding is for home use only, so you will need a smaller cylinder, PD, or X, (see link). I can't see any problems with picking it up yourself. I have done it often over the years, working for several companies. As long as you have an account with the supplier, and your vehicle will take the cylinder.

I only provided a link to the BOC site because that's the one I've used most. There are cheaper suppliers, but I can't comment on their policies.

Are you welding stainless,or aluminium?

http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/sheq/gas-safety/cylinder-weights-sizes/argoshield-cylinder-sizes/argoshield-cylinder-sizes.html

John.

Edit,

Ah, just reread your post, your buying the whole package. Is it the Clarkes welder, from Machine Mart?

Again I can't see a problem transporting it home yourself, these usually come with the smallest cylinder.

It's not a package as such, just ordering it from the same place, its an 8.3ltr pure argon cylinder. Out of interest how much does it work out to buy from BOC? Done quite a bit of welding in a previous job but never TIG so going to be doing ALOT of practice with the aim of a career change eventually (and a locost kit car build from scratch :bigemo_harabe_net-165: )

Will be welding mild and stainless as an ac/dc tig was too far out of my price range and I didnt fancy taking a punt on an un warranted chinese one on ebay!

I'm struggling to find the BOC price lists, I think you have to apply to them directly.

What thickness materials are you wanting to weld?

Pure argon is ok for thin sheet stainless, and well cleaned mild steel, but if you go above about 3mm, I'd recommend getting a gas mixture, low percent hydrogen, and argon. There's more heat and a better, quicker weld. Or use a MIG welder.

I notice BOC have changed the names of their gas mixes, and the colour ID. It's a while since I was involved in regular TIG, MIG welding so I will have to check to see what they call them now.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think it's probably easier and safer just to get it delivered top home than jump through health and safety hoops!

To start off with it will mainly be thin sheet/exhausts etc. so nothing near 3mm just yet. I was going to buy a MIG but I like the aesthetics of TIG welds and I like the challenge of learning something new! May end up with a couple of bottles of gas in the end then, can't remember off the top of my head the thickness of the locost frame.