Drennan insert floats

Jim Murray

Got some of these recently. I presume the idea is that you replace the insert with a starlight as dusk falls.

Only problem is none of the starlights I've tried seems to fit. Do they take a special size or do you have to use a Drennan one? Or are there different floats in the range specially designed to take the lights?

Jim.

basically, yes. but i'll explain a bit more :D

drennan clear insert wagglers can take not just drennan starlights, but different coloured float tips according to the colour of the reflection you are fishing against. if you are fishing against the reflection of a clear blue sky, then use a black tip. if fishing against a coloured background then use a red or orange tip.

Ignorance I am good at, it's the brute force I am not sure of.

I always have problems with starlight and isotope floats in the gloom my eyes start playing tricks with them and they do all sorts of strange things.

It's easier to leger and use alarms or two isotopes/starlights on the rod tip.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I tried using a large orange starlight on a float the other evening, and it worked pretty well. Better than the smaller, brighter, green ones.

I have to admit that I've never liked the things and find it difficult to detect bites. Even when they are pulled underwater by a fish you can still see them and don't realise you've had a bite.

As Tony U said, "It's easier to leger and use alarms or two isotopes/starlights on the rod tip."

Seemed to work OK the other night. The orange ones are quite dim, mind. Bright enough to see easily, but they vanish when submerged. Had an enormous lift bite from a skimmer and got the effect of the light appearing to double as it was separated from its reflection.

Thanks for the replies but I'm getting mixed messages here....the floats I've bought are straight wagglers & puddle-chuckers. They came with red inserts and I'm not really concerned with swapping the colours, I just want to find a starlight that will fit.

Cannot find any references to special starlight floats on the web so do they exist or does Drennan do a made-to-fit job?

JIm.