Has Bob James resigned his post with the C.A.?

Peter Waller

here.here.pete

snoty. meant to have put. one of the prime reason's and as to us having over estimated our importance to the C.A if we are not important to them why are they so keen to rope us in with them

selves and keep on saying they are speaking up for anglers's. the only angler's they speak for are the salmon and trout water owner's who fear if angling is banned they will lose the hundred's of pounds a day they charge for a stretch of prime salmon water. they could'nt care less about the every day course anglers.it's all about money, those who have it want to keep making it.i don't want be associated with that or foxhunting

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbour stuff is common as muck nowadays!

Denewear.co.uk should have there Crusher hats in Swandri Green by this week. Natural wool and completely waterproof. It's the only hat I can wear, other than a knitted one, that doesn't give me a headache after a bit. I wore them for years until they changed colour. Now the green ones are back, along with the cap with tie-under-the-chin ear-flaps, according to their latest catelogue.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Peter Waller:

By and large Chevin you are right. But in the case of the CA, a body that owes its very conception to fox hunting, we would be allying ourselves to a cause that is less than palatable to atleast half the population. In P.R. terms not a good move! For myself I have no wish to be associated with fox hunting, a pastime that I abhor. Angling and fox-hunting might both be forms of hunting but their differing ethos leaves them poles apart.

Sadly, when it comes to war - and it will be a war against angling - you cannot afford to be altruistic. You say that you abhor fox hunting, well, unfortunately, a lot of people feel the same way about angling. Those people probably don't recognise the difference in ethos. As far as they are concerned both sports are practiced by people who make their quarry fight or run for it's life. The fact that the quarry is killed in one element and not in the other will not cut much ice with them. In fact the RSPCA would be more tolerant of angling if the fish caught were killed for the table!

As far as I understand, the CA does have other concerns and it is prepared to fight to protect them. If you are prepared to stand back and see fox hunting banned because you disagree with it then ultimately you are likely to be sacrificing your angling by doing so. Make no mistake about it, once fox hunting IS banned, something else will be next on the list.

I think that an important point to consider is just how many anglers will actually be prepared to stand up and fight when the war does begin? When I lived in the UK, (27 years ago) there was an estimated 3,000,000 anglers in the country. Where ever you went on any river, canal etc on a weekend, you would see a lot of anglers on the banks. I recently visited the UK for four weeks and I re-visted a number of those waters. I was astonished by just how few anglers I saw! Obviously there is still a large number of anglers, but they are so divided in their pursuits it may well be that there will be far fewer fighting each battle than any one of us would anticipate.

I am not suggesting that you actively support fox hunting, but I am suggesting that once fox hunting is banned - which it will - you will get more support from the CA in your battles than you will if you chose to ignore them in their time of need.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

quote:

Originally posted by chevin:

You say that you abhor fox hunting, well, unfortunately, a lot of people feel the same way about angling. [/QB]

But they are not those riding horses!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

chevin:

I recently visited the UK for four weeks and I re-visted a number of those waters. I was astonished by just how few anglers I saw!

They are all crammed around small day ticket lakes stuffed with small, obliging carp these days Chevin, or scattered around big lakes with a few big carp and high fishing fees.

I often fish rivers that run past such waters, good mixed fishing on the river, usually free, hardly seeing anyone else on the river bank.

But there's always a forest of rods and/or bivvies on the lakes I pass by!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Why should anglers support the C.A. just because some C.A. supporters fish? On that line of thinking, should anglers then give support to badger baiters, cock fighting or any other participant of a cruel and barbaric practice just because those people might also fish?

[ 07. November 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: wearyone ]

Tight Lines,

Wearyone