spade hooks

thuramario

everyone i meet keeps goin on about spade hooks n how good they are, yet know one can tell me why. am i right to presume that a spade is considered better because there are less week points in the line for a good fish to break it due to the way it is tied to the hook? and if this is true can someone direct me to a site were i can find an appropiate diagram, as i aint got a clue how to tie one on (and im far to cheap to start bying gadgets such as the spade hook tier thingy).

your help would be greatly appreciated.

everyone i meet keeps goin on about spade hooks n how good they are, yet know one can tell me why. am i right to presume that a spade is considered better because there are less week points in the line for a good fish to break it due to the way it is tied to the hook? and if this is true can someone direct me to a site were i can find an appropiate diagram, as i aint got a clue how to tie one on (and im far to cheap to start bying gadgets such as the spade hook tier thingy).

your help would be greatly appreciated.

Spade ends, in small sizes, are lighter and more balanced than eyed hooks, and help in presentation when offering hookbait to shy fish.

But the 'spade' end can sometimes act as a line cutter. And a poorly tied hook is more likely to leave just a curly pigtail at the end of your line when it fails during a good fight :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Spade end hooks can help keep the hook-shank aligned with the line, which I'm sure aids hook-ups and it's often easier to mask the spade end inside your bait, especially with casters. With eyed hooks, the shank and the line are often misaligned and it's difficult to push a caster over the eye, without the caster bursting like a grape. That said, although I'm aware of these advantages, I rarely, if ever, use them for anything other than roach.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I use spade ends in the smaller sizes (16 and below) I normally buy hook to nylons ready tied.I cant even use a hook tier! I can though (if I need to change a damaged hook or replace one lost cose to the end of the hook length) by tying it by hand.Even though I can still tie down to size 22 like this I can only do it in a fishing situation ie with the line running from the rod.Cant do it at home without setting a rod up! therefore cant tie up a stock of them.You can though if you bother to learn how to use a hook tier though.Apparently it aint that hard!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Don't be a cheapskate, buy a hooktyer , they're only a few quid. They make tieing spade ends a doddle..

I've only used the manual ones so can't comment on the fancy automatic ones but a hand tied spade end is still better than machine tied.

When you use a hook tier the line is pulled through the knot and ends up as the last couple of inches of your hooklength. When I hand tie a spade end it's round the other way and all the line pulled through the knot is cut off.

.........but I stopped using spades ages ago anyway, they can and will cut the line at times no matter how well tied.

thanks for the insight so have we come to the conlusion that they arne't worth it unless you r using castors?

Spade ends, in small sizes, are lighter and more balanced than eyed hooks, and help in presentation when offering hookbait to shy fish.

But the 'spade' end can sometimes act as a line cutter. And a poorly tied hook is more likely to leave just a curly pigtail at the end of your line when it fails during a good fight :(

what is considered a small hook? (e.g. 18-24?)

what is considered a small hook? (e.g. 18-24?)

I usually use spade ends up to size 14, but will go up to a 10 if they are fine wire and I'm fishing say, bread flake for roach.

Eyed hooks from a 14 upwards, again depending on bait and species.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John