Is the world starting to wake up?

Leon Roskilly

Interesting!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fish/story/0,736...,671073,00.html

More stories at

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fish

Tight Lines - Leon

Sea Anglers' Conservation Network (SACN)

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

hiya,

It's nice to see but it's a pity they couldn't get there facts correct... common skate.. raja clavata??? I always thought the Common skate was raja batis.. does this mean I've smashed the thornie record out of sight hundreds of times without knowing it ????

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

It's nice to see but it's a pity they couldn't get there facts correct... common skate.. raja clavata???  I always thought the Common skate was raja batis.. does this mean I've smashed the thornie record out of sight hundreds of times without knowing it ????    

Let's see if I've got this right?

raja batis is the name of the species which is all but extinct (apart from a few spots known only to Davy and a handful of others).

raja clavata is the name of the species commonly found in lots of places.

So the name of the common skate is .... Oh heck, now I'm really confused :(

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Hiya,

Ok The Common skate is Raja batis, it was called the Common skate because yes you've guessed it it was common and the most common of the 3 species of true skate we get in UK waters, The White skate (raja alba) and long nosed skate (cant remember its name) are the two others. Every other species of skate we get in UK waters are actualy only Ray's. The most Common of which is the Thornback (raja Clavata) buteven the Thornback is'nt as common as it was in the North sea as it was due to it takes a few years to reach maturity. The true common skate (ray) in the North sdea is the Starry ray (cant remember it's name either)this is because as it is one of the smallest ray's it is also one of the fastest to mature so it can withstand heavy trawling more than any other skate / ray..

hows that.. did that make things a s clear as mud ??? :D:D

Davy

Leon - let me further confuse matters. :D

Common skate - Ireland - Dipturus batis

Common skate - UK - Dipturus batis

Common skate - Australia - Okamejei australis

but

Thornback skate - UK - Raja clavata

Thornback skate - South Africa - Raja clavata

Thornback skate - USA - Raja clavata

Skate - Namibia - Raja clavata

Piggskate - Norway - Raja clavata

and while I can't seem to locate Raja Batis anywhere, I can find

Blue grey skate - UK - Dipturus batis

Blue skate - UK - Dipturus batis

Flapper skate -UK - Dipturus batis

Common skate - UK - Dipturus batis

Skate - UK - Dipturus batis

Grey skate - Ireland - Dipturus batis

Common skate - Ireland - Dipturus batis

I think Dipturus batis (which is endangered) may be the one you meant. This one?

Posted Image

[ 21 March 2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hiya newt

leon will be wishing he never posted this now :D

Dipturus batis is the new name for raja batis

they reclassified it a year or so ago.. i was going to point that point but I thought Everyone was confused enough :D:D:D

[ 21 March 2002, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

Davy - we are anglers. Their ain't no such thing as "confused enough". ROF

But if you know and if you wouldn't mind - why did they reclassify raja batis to Dipturus and leave Raja clavata alone?

Leon - does this mean I have to resign my SACN membership?

[ 22 March 2002, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

it always amazes me if we catch all these fish where do they go? i for one cant afford skate (or for that most fresh fish) i suspect that the fish is ground up for its protein and fed to animals to produce more meat (i cant afford fresh meat either) or for fertilizer, so where does it go?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Newt:

Davy - we are anglers. Their ain't no such thing as "confused enough". ROF

Very true newt.. but some are more confused than others :D

But if you know and if you wouldn't mind - why did they reclassify raja batis to Dipturus and leave Raja clavata alone?

I honestly cant remember the reason, it was mentioned at the Biodiversity Action Plan meeting I'll have a dig about and see if I can find out the true reason

Davy

Newt:

Leon - let me further confuse matters. :D

<snip>

I think Dipturus batis (which is endangered) may be the one you meant. This one?

Posted Image

Ah! I see, we are talking some kind of flounder

(Well the flat ones that the boats are landing these days are mostly just about hand size!)

Tight Lines - leon

[ 22 March 2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member