Where has it gone?

Pelyma

In the last Labour manifesto there was a commitment to protect fishing and shooting sports. Guess what, it's not there this time. Looks like Tony B Liar is backing down on this one - has PETA bunged him a big one a la IFAW???? :confused:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dachshund, who do you think the antis or ban everything brigade will move onto next should shooting be banned? I shoot and fish, so did my father and my fathers father, and i hope my sons will also be able too. Since the demise of foxhunting shooting has become the number 1 target for the antis, if they achieve a ban on that it will then be fishing that gets the attention. Perhaps you will reconsider your views on shooting then? Shooting and fishing are to me all about a sustainable harvest of wild food and i see no harm in that. Do you take home fish you have caught for the table? or simply drag them ashore with hooks and release them for sport? be very careful how you answer that one in case we have some antis about.

Sorry to bang on guys this is a very emotive subject i know but Im a little tired of having to fight for my rights againt people who have little or no understanding of the sports that are dear to me. I also expect lots of others on this site to say why should we be bothered about the guys that shoot thats cruel! come on think about it who will be next? and how will you justify your actions?

As always regards Ryan.

Ryan,

I'm 100% with you on that, I shoot air rifles in competition and I hunt with them but there has been so much in the press lately about mindles idiots shooting at firemen, kids (killing one) and last night on the news was a story about a cat that had been shot 7 times (and lived).

All this is doing nothing for the people that shoot for sport, they are idiots that are in the minority, why should we put up with them? Why should we suffer because of them? What can we do about them and keep our sport?

Sorry, rant over

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

I know its very hard to defend fishing while being anti-shooting, but there are a few of us about. I gave up coarse fishing at an early age as I realised the cruelty involved in catching simply for sport - I rarely fish in the sea, and then I only fish to catch 'keepers' for food. At the same time, though, I can see that I also do so for sport and enjoyment, and that there is hypocrisy there. I see the inconsistency in my own position, and I don't really want to get into a protracted argument here. But can anyone really say that shooting and fishing aren't cruel?

It's a messy situation, I know, and I have sypmathy for both sides.

I'm not going to fall for the old line that Labour is anti angling because it plainly isnt so. They have come out in anglings support and have consistently done so since 1996 they also support shooting. As someone who has been active in Labour politics for over 25 years I have never heard so much tosh when Labour and angling get mentioned in the same breath. 99.9% of all the people I've met within politcs support angling , a lesser number support shoting but I support both and always say so at every opportunity.

Shooting is a sport where the quarry always makes the table unless of course its vermin like rats.

Shooting targets is not cruel, bits of paper or metal have no feelings.

People are wanting guns banned because of the potential that they can kill, a gun has never killed anything... it's the person pulling the triger that kills.

Yes, there are the folk that want shooting banned because of the animals but there are a lot that are just after the guns.

After us what will be next, cars...?!? They kill, there is an argument for that too.

There will always be someone wanting something banned.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Brian, if Labour is so pro shooting then tell me this, why have they tried to stop youngsters entering the sport, why did they try to end pigeon and corvid shooting unless non leathal alternatives could be fully proven to have been explored, why have they now made it illegal to shoot foxes in the traditional manner unless only 2 dogs are used (a lot of use in acres of forestry, why have they authorised the mass slaughter of red deer in Scotland from helicopters (it is evident you can hunt deer in Scotland with helicopters for mile after mile but not a dog. Do I need to go on??

Fishing might not be on the official agenda but believe me the day they took the shilling of IFAW (PAL) they put all sports that involve animals firmly in the banning sights, it is a matter of time and a few million quid. Pandora's box has been well and truly opened.

dachshund:

I know its very hard to defend fishing while being anti-shooting, but there are a few of us about. I gave up coarse fishing at an early age as I realised the cruelty involved in catching simply for sport - I rarely fish in the sea, and then I only fish to catch 'keepers' for food. At the same time, though, I can see that I also do so for sport and enjoyment, and that there is hypocrisy there. I see the inconsistency in my own position, and I don't really want to get into a protracted argument here. But can anyone really say that shooting and fishing aren't cruel?

It's a messy situation, I know, and I have sypmathy for both sides.

and I don't really want to get into a protracted argument here

ROFLMAO

If you aren't in politics, you really should be.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President